Sunday, June 7, 2009

Welcome to Angela Lam Turpin's guest blog

Welcome Ms. Angela Lam Turpin to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.


Did you always want to become a writer?

Not until I was 10 years old. Before that, I wanted to be an artist. I wrote and illustrated my own books when I was 8. I wrote the books to have something to illustrate. All that changed when I learned my favorite artist, Vincent Van Gogh, cut off his ear because he was crazy. I decided to try a more sane occupation and switched to writing instead. Of course, I’ve resumed painting now that I am older and know you can be sane and an artist. I have yet to write and illustrate a published book. That’s a goal for the future.

What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

The most interesting fact about writing is the discovery. Tackling a subject matter and exploring it has been the greatest joy, whether the discovery is something concrete like writing about a medical breakthrough or abstract like writing about the power of unconditional love.

The least interesting thing about writing is rewriting. The editing process is gruelling and can feel never-ending much like a marathon in a desert with no oasis in sight.

How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

My writing friend, Jan Ogren, hosted a book release party when my first novel, Legs, was published. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law threw an Academy Award-style book signing party complete with red carpet, movie posters featuring the coverart which was designed by my husband, and food that would make Wolfgang Puck envious.

The first time I saw Legs in the bookstore I smiled with quiet pride. I always thought I would scream and shout and point to strangers, “Look! I wrote that!” But I was much more humble than my fantasy. It was surreal.

I don’t have any special ritual for celebrating a book release. But I’m open to suggestions.

How did your family react to fact that you also write romance novels? Has your family read your books?

(Laughs). My family was supportive. Surprised, but supportive. They read everything I write even if they don’t like it.

I had focused on non-fiction writing for years before turning to fiction. I was a studious person growing up and always read the classics. I originally aspired to be a literary author, but I discovered chick-lit in my mid-twenties and became smitten with the romance bug.

Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

I love to read! I carry a book with me wherever I go so I’m always occupied in long lines or while waiting for appointments.

My favorite chick-lit author is Sophie Kinsella. I also enjoy Lori Culwell, Emily Giffin, Jane Porter, Diane Payne, Jane Green, Nick Hornby, and Candace Bushnell. I periodically reread the classics. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was better the second time around.

My writing has been influenced by everything I read, from Hemingway to Kinsella, so it is always evolving.

Your characters come to life in your books. Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

My newest release, Blood Moon Rising, started as a short story about a suicidal vampire. When I turned it into a book, I discovered the reason why Valkyrie was so depressed. She was possessed with longing and grief and the impossible need to control things that were out of her control. Because I’m a working mother, I cannot afford to let the characters take over my life, but that’s not always possible. Valkyrie’s grief hit me hard, and the people in my life often wondered if I was going through postpartum depression since I wrote the first draft of the novel while on maternity leave. That’s the power a character can have!

Right now, I am working on a novel that is very character-driven and the energy it takes to keep in touch with the character and remain true to the character is overwhelming at times. All of my characters are based on different aspects of different people I’ve met throughout the years or sometimes on aspects of my own personality I feel compelled to explore.

Where do you get the inspirations for your books?

My books are inspired either by real life situations or by emotions.

Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?

Not so much anymore. Lovemaking comes from a person’s personality. If you can write about a person eating dinner, you can write about a person making love.

What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

My favorite book is always the book I’m working on. My favorite heroine is Valkyrie because she risks her life to learn powerful lessons and she loses a lot along the way. Her courage and strength are admirable.

My favorite hero is Dare in one of my unpublished young adult novels. Dare is a solid man with a good heart who demands the people in his life live up to the high standards he sets but he is compassionate enough to embrace them with forgiveness if they fail.

Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

Legs was the easiest to write. The book was done in three months. The novel I am researching now is the hardest to write. The character, pacing, tone, and plot are like one jumbled mess waiting for me to unfold. It’s time-consuming and frustrating.

If you could change places with one character from your books, who would it be and why?

I would trade places with Trina Kay. She’s impulsive and warm and willing to put herself out there even if she fails. And she has a fabulous wardrobe!

If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

I would go back to the period of the Civil War and I would talk to Abraham Lincoln. But I would not talk to him about politics. I would talk to him about his personal life. What it meant for him to go through all those years of failure and heartbreak and what it took for him to be a survivor. I would ask him if his life experiences contributed to his success as President, and who he would be without them.

Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?

Each novel has its own sound track. I play the same album over and over while I write. It puts me into a trance and allows me to disappear into the world I am creating. Right now I am listening to Anggun’s Snow on the Sahara.

If you could choose one of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you cast?

It would be Legs. Everyone I meet who has read the book says Jennifer Aniston would be great as Trina Kay although I always imagined Debra Messing in the role because of her auburn curls. Val would be played by an undiscovered actor, someone flashy and funny. I’ve had readers tell me they would want either Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise as Tom although I always envisioned a Ken-doll look alike. Alex Lashay would be played by my best friend, the actor L. Scott Weiss. If Estelle Getty was still around, she would be Ms. Lashay.

Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?

Yes, I am working. In addition to the character-driven novel I’m trying to unravel, I’ve been toying with the idea of a sequel to Blood Moon Rising featuring a grown up Anthony on his mission to bridge the vampire and human worlds. But it’s only in the thinking about stage so there’s not much to say at this time. If Blood Moon Rising is very successful and readers contact me for a sequel, I will definitely move from the thinking about stage into first draft mode!

Thank you, Danny, for the interview. I’ve enjoyed chatting with you about my books. I hope your readers will check out Blood Moon Rising which is released today by Eternal Press

1 comment:

Lisa Logan said...

Great interview! It IS a far more humbling experience to be published than one would expect when dreaming about it!

--Lisa
http://authorlisalogan.blogspot.com