Monday, December 5, 2016

THE LION IN THE LIVING ROOM by Abigail Tucker

 

Publisher:    Simon and Schuster
Published:   October 18, 2016
ISBN:        B01CO34KU6
Genre:       Non-fiction
Format:     Ebook
Obtained via:  Publisher via Edelweiss
Reviewed by name and email address:  Gina  Ginalrmreviews@gmail.com

THREE-1/2 HEARTS
 

I’m a cat person and myself am on the staff of three cats.  Pretty much all my adult life I’ve had cats. Several chose me by showing up in my yard and refusing to leave.  Two, ironically both orange tabbies came to live with me because their people, two people very close to me, died.  I tend to pick up books, either fiction or non-fiction, if they feature cats but it can’t hurt to learn more about these adorable, my way or the highway creatures.  Needless to say, when I saw Tucker’s book I had to option it for review.  She did not disappoint. 

Tucker offers readers chapters dedicated to various aspects of cat history and their lives.  She goes back to the earliest records of cats and details her own journeys to look at various skeletons from ancient times.  There are humorous aspects, sad aspects and a few that left me angry despite the fact that they happened decades ago.  Some aspects I disagree with, such as what comes across as saying all cats would prefer to be the only child in the family.  In my own household, that has never been true – at least two always pair up and siblings do well together.

I enjoyed the chapter entitled Nine Lives most of all because it talks about modern cats and where they fit in our lives today. 

Non-cat people probably will not enjoy this one—unless they are trying to understand their cat-owning friends.  For cat owners it can be a quick or enjoy over time read. Chapters do not have to be read in order to enjoy the book.



This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: