Friday, December 5, 2008

Welcome to Jaci Burton's guest blog


Welcome Ms. Burton to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us. Please introduce yourselves.

Did you always want to become a writer?

Not always. When I was young I wanted to be a teacher or a nurse. But I always wrote. Scripts, poems, letters, I loved to write, so it seems to be in my blood. I didn’t seriously start writing until I was an adult.

What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

Bringing characters and stories to life is the most fun. Having to do it on deadline and all the day to day operations like copyedits and galleys are the least interesting part of writing to me. But they’re all necessary components of the job.

How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

My husband brought me a card and balloons and champagne. It was very sweet. And seeing my book in a bookstore was an incredible experience I’ll never forget. Though I have to say that every book release is like that, not just the first one. There’s nothing more thrilling than seeing one of my books on a bookshelf in the store. I don’t have a special ritual for celebrating a book release because I’m usually knee deep in deadline for the next book.


How did your family react to fact that you also write romance novels? Have your family read your books?

My family is incredibly supportive of my career. A few of them read my books, but since I write a lot of erotic romance many don’t read my books. A few do.


Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

I think many authors I’ve read throughout my lifetime have influenced my writing and made me want to be a romance writer. Elizabeth Lowell writes some of the best sensual romance out there. I learned a lot from reading her books. I think Nora Roberts is just an incredible author who writes amazing characters and fast paced storylines that keep me riveted. I love reading Nalini Singh, Meljean Brook, Maya Banks, Lora Leigh, Lauren Dane, Shannon Stacey, Mandy Roth, Kristan Higgins, Roxanne St. Claire and so many other authors I could fill up an entire page if I don’t stop now.



Your characters come to life in your books. Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

My characters live only on the page when I write them. I visualize them and their story in my mind, and when I’m taking a break I’ll think about a scene or something that I need to do with them, but they don’t take over my life. I try to keep real life separate from the fictional one. And my characters are very separate and distinct in my head. I don’t use actors or actresses or any photographs to give them life—they’re creating fully formed from my imagination so there are no living role models appearance wise. Characterization wise, there may be bits and pieces of personality traits from people I know, but really they’re all just people I create out of my imagination.


Where do you get the inspirations for your books?

Everywhere. From a scene in a movie or tv show, something might spark my imagination and I’ll go off in the direction of creating a storyline. Or something I’ll read or see when I’m walking or driving. It’s so hard to say where an idea comes from because they often come from nowhere at all.


Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?

I think love scenes are incredibly difficult to write. They’re so emotional, so passionate, so personal between the characters, and I want each of them to be just perfect. It takes me a very long time to write each love scene. Often I’ll agonize for days over one love scene because it has to be right for the characters.


What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

I make it a point to never name a favourite book or character. They’re all my favorites when I’m writing them. Until I write the next one. Heh.


Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

Surviving Demon Island, the first book in my Demon Hunter series, was probably the most difficult book to write because it was the first full length single title with a subplot I’d ever written. It was incredibly complex with multiple characters and plotlines. I’d never worked harder on a book in my entire life, nor have I ever been prouder of a finished product than I am of that book. The easiest? None are easy. They’re all hard.


If you could change places with one character from your books, who would it be and why?

I’d like to be Gina from Surviving Demon Island for a day. She gets to kick some serious ass in that book and she has a lot of fun doing it.


If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

I’d like to go back to my youth and spend more time with my grandmother. I didn’t say a proper goodbye to her before she died and I regret that.

Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?

Music distracts me while I’m writing. I like the quiet.


If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?

Definitely Surviving Demon Island. It’s filled with action and adventure and demons and fun weaponry. Hmmm, maybe Gerard Butler for Derek and Angelina Jolie for Gina.


Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?

Right now I’m working on a novella for my Wild Riders series. It’ll be the 4th book in that series and will be out next year in an anthology with Lora Leigh. I’m very excited!

Big congrats to your recent releases Riding Temptation, The Darkest Touch as well as your newest book the Unlaced anthology. Can you please us something more about those releases?

Thanks! Riding Temptation is the second book in my Wild Riders series about Harley riding bad boys who work undercover for the government. The Darkest Touch is the third book in my Demon Hunter series. Unlaced releases December 2nd and is an erotic romance anthology from Berkley Heat with novellas from me, Jasmine Haynes, Joey Hill and Denise Rossetti.

Here is the blurb & excerpt of Ms. Burton's newest release UNLACED

Four authors of erotic romance present wild and irresistibly dangerous fantasies in this sensational anthology of lust and lingerie…

Come undone with Jaci Burton…Sixteen years is a long time to carry a torch for your ex. It’s high time they act on long-dormant desires and reignite the flame that still burns inside them both.

Unwind with Jasmine Haynes…A wanting woman arrives at the perfect solution for exploring sensual freedom: open herself up to an amateur photographer with no limits—and an uncensored appreciation for the female body.

Let loose with Joey Hill…What does a hiker do when he comes upon a girl wearing only ivory panties, and stretched out invitingly on the warm leather seat of a Harley? Anything she tells him.

Submit to Denise Rossetti…As the laces of a stunning ruby-trimmed corset tighten, so too does the grip of an inescapable sorceress’s curse—one with the power to transform any woman into a dominating femme fatale.

Free your inhibitions with…
Unlaced.


THE TIES THAT BIND
© 2008 By Jaci Burton

It took every shred of willpower Rick possessed not to drag Lisa into his arms, to crush her against him, to deepen the kiss the way he really wanted to. But she tasted so damn sweet and right now her mouth was soft and yielding under his, and that was going to have to be good enough.
He knew she was hesitant about all this, that he’d hit her with too much too soon. Lisa wasn’t one to dive in head first without thinking things through. He’d give her time. But damn if it wasn’t hard to restrain himself, especially with her leaning into him, her body soft and warm and those sighing sounds she made.
Christ, a man only had so much patience and he’d wanted this for a long time. But he had control. For Lisa, he had mountains of control, even if his dick was hard and throbbing and he wanted to bury it deep inside her.
Control. C-o-n-t-r-o-l. He spelled it long and slow in his head, hoping it would ramp down his libido.
Yeah, right. No such luck. He doubted reciting the Periodic Tables in his head would do much good. Not while he held Lisa in his arms, not when she whimpered and pressed against him, challenging him to kiss deeper, pull her closer, take this kiss one step further.
He tasted wine on her lips. How much had she had? He couldn’t remember, he’d been lost in conversation, in watching the cast of light on her hair. She’d gotten it cut and it just brushed her nape and chin now. He wanted to bury his fingers in the softness of her hair, to lose himself in everything Lisa.
Control. With every whispered moan, every slight adjustment of her hips against his, he felt her losing it. Which meant he had to hold on to his, because she’d said she wanted to take this slow. Her breasts pressed against his chest. He swept his hands across her shoulders. How easy it would be to slide those thin straps down, then the top of her dress and bare her breasts so he could taste her nipples. Lisa had always had sensitive nipples. Were they still? He wanted to capture them between his lips, nibble them with his teeth, lick and suck them right here on the balcony until she arched her back and cried out.
Control. Not yet. Even though the skirt of her dress was loose and flowy and it would be so easy to draw it up over her thighs, spread his palm over the heated center of her sex and rub her, caress her until she moaned and begged him to pull her panties aside. She’d be wet—he knew she was wet because her scent was already driving him nuts. He’d slide his fingers over her soft, moist pussy lips, teasing her until neither of them could stand it. Then he’d slip a finger between her folds, sliding inside her, feeling her walls clench, grabbing his finger while he pumped gently, finger fucking her while his thumb swirled over her clit.
He used to love to make her come, to watch the way her face tightened, her eyes closed, her hips rose and she cried out with wild abandon. He wanted to make her come again, right now.
But he promised control. Tonight he was just going to kiss her, even if it tore him apart inside. They had seven days to get to know each other again, to take this one step at a time, a slow, deliberate seduction.
He withdrew his mouth. She opened her eyes slowly, staring into his.
“Slow sucks,” she whispered, her voice hoarse.
He laughed, swallowed. “Yes, it does.”


Reviews of Ms. Burton's books:

Demand to Submit

Exclusive

Hunting the demon

Nothing personal

Riding Temptation

Riding Wild

Show me

Surviving Demon Island

The Darkest Touch

True Lies

Unlaced

Wild, Wicked and Wanton

CONTEST

One very lucky winner will get her/his choice of one book from Ms. Burton's backlist. So please leave a comment or ask Ms. Burton a question. The winner will be announced here tomorrow morning.

24 comments:

Lori T said...

Good Morning!

I absolutely love the cover...you do seem to be lucky when it comes to covers as you have some amazing ones.

Do you have any say in the cover choices for your books?

I absolutely love your Wild Riders series...it is great! When is the next installment coming out?

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! Hi Jaci!!

You know I'm a big time fan and LOVE everything you've written! I got my copy of Unlaced earlier in the week, what a beautiful cover!! I love your Wild Riders too and can't wait to read Mitch's story!!!

Brandy W said...

That is such a great cover. I finally get to start Riding Wild soon. I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaci,

I absolutly love your Demon Hunters series. What inspired this series and how many books do you plan for it?

Thanks Danny for having some wonderful authors here at the blog. :)

Dawn R.

Anonymous said...

Jaci! HI HI HI!!! You are great. I love the cover it is so beautiful.

I am with you on thinking Angelina Jolie for Gina, but I know that I would not want to trade places with Gina, even for a minute. You really did a great job making her come to life.

No questions this morning, just love...

CrystalGB said...

Great interview and excerpt. I love the cover to Unlaced. :)

jer said...

Riding Temptation was a great read. The mystery had me guessing till the end. The romance between Jesse and Diego was yummy. Great book Jaci!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaci!!!

Waving!!!

I LOVE your books, am a big fan of yours since forever!!!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com

Karin said...

Hi Jaci!

I loved the interview and the excerpt! Since you write both single titles and novellas for anthologies, do you prefer one over the other or is it nice to be able to mix things up a bit?

lrhubble said...

I loved reading Riding Temptations - I just read it recently. Looking forward to reading more in the series. :-)

Larena

Jane said...

Hi Jaci,
Congrats on the release of "Unlaced." I love your Demon Hunter series. Do you have plans to write more paranormals? Maybe begin a new series.

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Sadly I have never read one of your books before, and I believe I do have a friend who suggested you, but my question would, which book of yours would you suggest a new reader to start with?

I love paranormal, celtic, such things.

Cathy said...

Hi Jaci, love your stories and always look forward to your new releases. Have Unlaced on my Christmas wish list already.

Susan said...

Hi Jaci,

Wonderful interview and excerpt. I love the cover of Unlaced!

Do you have a scene in your mind that you haven't been able to fit into one of your stories yet?

Love Romances and More Reviews said...

Hi Jaci!

Do you know you were my third author I ever reviewed when I first started reviewing? I'm trying to think of the name of the series and I'm going blank this morning, but I fell in love with your men and islands.

Your story in Unlaced is, as I said in the review "Vintage Burton" only better. When I saw the cover (Jasmine Haynes brought it to our RWA meeting) way back last summer I HAD to have it. Fortunately for me I had the opportunity to read the anthology and let me tell the readers -- the cover is one of the best around -- it doesn't come close to the outstanding writing inside -- nothing beats the talent between those Unlaced covers! It's a definite must read.

Gina - Co-Owner of Love Romances and More Reviews

Unknown said...

Ooh, I love that excerpt! Amazon needs to hurry the hell up with my order lol. The cover for Unlaced is stunning too!

I've read many of your books, but I do have a question. If you could recommend only one of your books for a new reader to start with, what would it be?

Happy Holidays!

Leslie said...

Wonderful excerpt! Can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the interview.

Unknown said...

Hi Jaci and Danni! Unlace antho sounds great! Great excerpt!

LJ White said...

Hi Jaci,

Congrats on your recent releases. I have have several of your books on my to buy list, including the Wild Rider books and Unlaced.

Happy Holidays!

Caffey said...

Hi Jaci! This is one I've been too looking forward to since knowing it was coming out!

Jaci, as this anthology was written with other authors, is this book one you together put together as an anthology or were you put together by the publisher for the anthology? Will this be something that there will be more in the future together? Any run off books from this story?

Thanks!

Dannyfiredragon said...

And the winner is ....

Susan!

Big congrats!

Please send me an e-mail to Danny @ loveromancesandmore.com so I can forward your information to Jaci.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, big congrats to Susan!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com

Karin said...

Congratulations, Susan!

Anonymous said...

Ack! My sincerest apologies for not coming by to answer questions! Please forgive me because I was sick.

But if any of you are lurking and still interested in my answers, here they are:

I do have cover conferences for my covers with my editors, but final choices are up to them.

The next book in my Wild Riders series is Riding On Instinct, which will be released April, 2009.

My Demon Hunters series was actually inspired by watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Angelina Jolie remarked in a special I watched that she did a lot of her own stunts in the movie, so the creator of Gina Bliss, action heroine, popped into my head. Funny how that happens. ;-). And the 4th book in the series--Taken By Sin--releases in July 2009.

I love mixing up novellas with a big meaty single title. It's a great way for me to take a breather and write something short, and then dive into something more complex after that.

No plan at this time to write a new paranormal series. But you never know ;-)

Raonaid - I'd suggest you start with the first book in my Demon Hunter series, Surviving Demon Island.

I always have scenes that haven't yet made it into a story. Always lurking...but hopefully they'll get into a story someday.

If I were to recommend one of my books to someone, I'd first ask what their favorite genre is. That would give me an idea of what they like to read. Since I've written in a lot of genres, I could hopefully suggest something of mine they'd enjoy. :-)

Thank you Gina! :-)

The Unlaced anthology was put together by the publisher. And there will be another one next year. Same authors, too. It'll be titled Unbound! We're so excited to be working together again!

Thank you all so much for being here, and I'm really so sorry for dropping the ball! And thank you Danny!