Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kelly Armstrong Retrospective

I’m (Gina) not a huge fan of first person writing, although in the past few months I’ve read more of it than ever before. Some is excellent (i.e,. Karen Marie Moning) and others are just awful. If the books weren’t for review I wouldn’t make it through them.

I (Shay) have also never been a real fan of the first person however Ms. Armstrong’s ability with this writing style completely blows me away. I really feel that I am part of the story.

On the other hand, Tammy loves the way Ms. Armstrong writes in first person. It is what makes the books so good. You really feel like you are there watching events unfold.

I’m also not a fan of werewolves. Except for Quentin in the original Dark Shadows they were never high on my list of favorites and while I read a few when the genre became popular, I was never a fan.

Tammy, Shaiha and Dawn are definitely werewolf fans and Dawn likes first person.

Well, Kelley Armstrong made Gina a believer! From almost the first page BITTEN (ISBN 0-452-28603-4, Penguin 2001) had her asking where Ms. Armstrong had been hiding. Naturally she wasn’t hiding, she’s been writing more totally enthralling books. So that led to the next question – where had I been the past seven years as well as why, when I had the book on my shelf for probably that long I hadn’t picked it up and read it. BITTEN is a whole other take on werewolves story lines that even the most comprehensive review cannot do justice to. I adored Elena and so completely understood her motivations – what’s so wrong with wanting a normal life? And she did what she had to have it including walking away from the man who stole normalcy from her. But what is normalcy? Is it doing the same things everyone else does, or is it what is right for you.

Clayton Danvers isn’t a wounded hero or even that close to your typical Alpha male. Oh he’s got the Alpha thing going on some level, but he’s so much more than that. Clay is comfortable in his own skin, both of them. He know what he wants and views life from his wolf nature in a way that makes such complete sense. He knows he belongs with Elena and while he steadfastly does what is in his nature to do to win her, he understands her needs. With his steadfast single minded pursuit of Elena, yet still giving her plenty of space, I wanted to shake her more than once and ask her why she was neglecting this guy!

Tammy had this to say about Clayton: I think Clayton is very definitely the wounded character you can't help but love. He was turned as a child and left to fend for himself until Jeremy finds him and makes him his son and gives him a real sense of self. While most of his behavior is wolf-motivated, the man side positively bleeds when Elena gives him the cold shoulder again and again.

Dawn had this to say about Clayton: He is the ultimate hero~ vulnerable, strong, and protective yet willing to let Elena be who she is and work through her emotions even though he wants to take charge and protect her regardless if he thinks she can do it or not. With his ability to show that he can let the one woman he loves to be herself and find what she wants made me believe there was much hope for this couple, especially towards the end of BITTEN when Elena finally realizes she can be with Clay and not lose herself at the same time.

Shay’s comments: Clayton is hot but the alpha that really drew me is Jeremy. To me, he is the ultimate alpha and a major incentive to lose myself in this series.

Add in a mystery, non-stop action and Gina’s had the best read of her summer.

STOLEN (ISBN 0-452-28593-3 Penguin 2004) is book two of Ms. Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series and Elena is on a mission. Not one she chose, but ended up being pulled, literally and figuratively into. In STOLEN there’s this psychopathic megalomaniac who would be anyone’s worst nightmare capturing paranormals. A psycho of the first water and you know out there somewhere there IS someone very much like him. You just hope you don’t ever meet him. The story itself just didn't click for me as much as BITTEN did. There is the hint of dark film noir to the telling. Elena is a brooding heroine and so refreshing. Seeing the growth of the character from Bitten to Stolen is just wonderful. It’s a do not miss read and has a place on my keeper shelf—it just wasn’t as good as BITTEN.

Tammy had this to say: STOLEN was not as good as BITTEN - too many other characters introduced at once. Best part was when Clay showed up.

I (Shay) have to say that I liked STOLEN. It had a different feel than BITTEN but still very good. And of course, there was Jeremy.

DIME STORE MAGIC (ISBN 978-0553587067) continues the story started in STOLEN and tells Paige and Savannah’s story. In a fashion it is continued in INDUSTRIAL MAGIC (ISBN 978-0553587074). These two books are perfect examples of the diversity of readers and reviewers. Both books were a bit of a struggle for Gina on a few levels. She had a hard time telling the difference between Elena (the female werewolf from BITTEN and STOLEN) and Paige (the witch). Savannah was like most teens in books for me, annoying. Gina says: I think it’s just teens in general that are annoying. There were parts of the books that felt like they were trying to be young adults, but just falling short outside the fence with the love scenes between Paige and Lucas and one very brutal scene where cats were tortured. Hurting animals, especially cats, loses points with me big time. Neither story had any of the zest I felt from BITTEN.

On the other hand, Tammy says: Paige is very different from Elena. Can't imagine how Gina had a hard time distinguishing them apart. Elena is very strong and confident, arrogant. Paige is softer and more maternal and sort of fumbles through all the changes in her life where Elena charges through. The best parts of DIME STORE MAGIC and INDUSTRIAL MAGIC were the parts that showed the growth of relationship with Paige and Lucas. As he comes out of his shell with her, I really started to like him, especially with the many conflicting situations that made him his true nature a little questionable at times.

Dawn said this on DIME STORE MAGIC: I loved the differences between Paige and Elena. You have a council who hasn’t dealt with werewolves or other supernatural species in awhile. It was nice to see how Ms. Armstrong was able to showcase both Paige and Elena in positive lights yet also show their differences positively. I enjoyed the way Paige and Lucas interacted, with Paige being almost hostile to finally being able to see a side of him that is rarely shown to people. Nice dynamics and though there was a lot of new characters added in DIME STORE MAGIC and STOLEN, it was still an enjoyable read, if a bit darker.

HAUNTED (ISBN 0-553-58708-0 Bantam 2005) was more in line with the thrill I felt when I read BITTEN. Savannah’s mother, Eve, was killed in STOLEN and this is her story about how she deals with being dead, still being Savannah’s mother, and discovering how much in love she is with the Chris Nast, Savannah’s father. I related strongly to Eve. Having spent my entire life doing the right thing for everyone else, making sure everyone else was taken care of before considering myself and losing out on the things I wanted most for myself have given me much the same dilemma I felt Eve had. When confronted with life as an angel—still doing good deeds or spending eternity as an “average” ghost with the man she loves she ultimately chooses the man the loves—which is what I would do. After a lifetime of giving, I’d sure like to have what I want for a change and the love of that special man in my life would be the crowning gift. Yet Eve has a heart wrenching twist on her choice—as an angel she could continue to be there for Savannah. The Nix is an intriguing character and with her as the explanation of why women not only kill but become serial killers is an awesome thread. This one I recommend.

Again, Tammy and Gina disagree about Eve -- Eve - didn't really like her. And "lifetime of giving"? Eve was a black witch. Not exactly stellar mother material there. Sure she had some redeeming moments, but it was a good thing when she died. Probably saved Savannah. Did, however, enjoy her romance after she became a ghost with Chris Nast. He made her a lot more likable.

Dawn says this about HAUNTED: Eve was a complex character and very interesting one. On one hand, she is a black witch and on the other hand she is a loving mother. I think this is a character with multiple sides that will appeal too many but also get them to see her in a different light as well.

I (Shay) missed the three books and I think that I really need to go pick them up.

It’s reviewer dialogue like this that gives readers a bit more insight into why they may like a certain book.

Tammy hasn’t written full reviews on these books but from her personal reading enjoyment has this to say about Ms. Armstrong’s more recent releases: NO HUMANS INVOLVED wasn't my favorite. Not enough past characters maybe? Did enjoy the relationship with Jamie and Jeremy though. Hope they get more page time.

NO HUMANS INVOLVED had to be my (Shay) favorite book of the series. It drew me right back into the series and reminded just why I feel in love with Ms. Armstrong in the first place. I also have to give her kudos for the fact that I didn’t feel that I missed anything by not reading all of her backlist first. This is a biggie with me as I am almost anal about reading series in order.
PERSONAL DEMON - Karl and Hope are great together. Every time she pairs people up in her books she takes someone of dubious character and pairs them with someone strong that brings out their better qualities. Love that.

She really enjoyed Lucas' struggle with the whole wanting to change the Cabals and wanting to stay far away from it all. The family dynamic there is wonderful. I really like how his dad is both always there for him offering support and yet always has an agenda of his own all the time. Great character!

(Shay) Karl and Hope are the bomb together! I loved seeing their relationship deepen. Karl is such a bad boy and I have real weakness for that type of man. I also enjoyed learning more about the Cabals and Lucas.


Tammy had this to say about EXIT STRATEGY: If I hadn't known she wrote it, I would have never guessed. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as either of her other series. The heroine was still a kickass strong independent woman and the hero a little rough but solidly in her corner but they were both a little difficult to empathize with. And the minor characters really didn't do it for me. The old lady - I wanted Nadia to run from her and why is our hero so trusting of her? And then Quinn - she knows all of 5 seconds and is considering jumping in the sack with him when the better, more obvious choice, Jack, she doesn't even seem to notice lusting for her? For someone that seems to notice every little nuance about everyone around her, she does seem to be missing a lot where Jack is concerned. And tell me that Quinn doesn't realize Jack's interest? For a supposed friend, he doesn't mind poaching, does he? And where were Jack, Quinn and company after the house blew up and Nadia is running from a madman? Weren't they supposed to be guarding the outside of the house? Were they all so taken by the explosion that they just stood there gaping?

Dawn finished reading the latest book, LIVING WITH THE DEAD, and loved the dynamics between Karl and Hope. This is a couple who really talked to me as Hope tried to deal with Karl’s past leaving and actually find where she fits in the world as she knows it. The character of Robyn made me want to slap her silly sometimes. She annoyed me with her penchant of not dealing with issues or making snap decisions that end up badly. This was a character that really didn’t do much for me. I was happier reading about Hope and Karl, than Robyn and Finn.

(Shay) There is another book out there that I haven’t read yet! I know what I will be searching for when I get home. Kelley Armstrong is one of those authors that just doesn’t get enough attention. All of her books are strong and guaranteed to please readers of the Paranormal.

Dawn also enjoyed the YA novel, THE SUMMONING and is anxious for the next book, THE AWAKENING. It was a very good kick off to this series and I really enjoyed the dynamics of Chloe and her dealing as a female necromancer.

1 comment:

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Kelley Armstrong is amazing and I can't wait to check out Men of the Otherworld.