Thursday, September 17, 2009

THE GEOMETRY OF SISTERS by Luanne Rice

Publisher: Bantam
Date issued: April 2009
ISBN: 978-0553805130
Women’s fiction
Hardcover
Reviewed by Valerie



Maura Shaw’s husband disappeared while on a boat in a storm. The same day, her oldest daughter, Carrie walked out and never returned. Except for some cards and a few emails, she has no idea where her daughter is. Taking her remaining daughter and son, she heads back to Newport, Rhode Island, to hopefully begin anew. She has accepted a job teaching in the academy. Becky, her youngest daughter is devastated at the loss of her sister and only feels like half a person. Travis, Maura’s son has to cope with a long distance relationship and an attraction to a girl at the academy. Becky and Maura hold hopes that Carrie will return. Maura has her own problems, finding a way back to her estranged sister and a secret from the past. The family has a rocky road to travel before things are set right.

This is not usually the kind of book that I voluntarily pick up to read, but I was really pleased to have had the chance to read this book. This is a heartwarming story that had me gripped on the first page. I loved all the characters. Ms. Rice has Becky hiding behind her mathematical genius, and although all the talk about math went a bit over my head, it all sounded very impressive. Ms. Rice writes in a simple style that makes this easy reading. You can connect to the kids, feel Maura’s frustration and fears and all the while hope that this troubled family can find peace. Towards the end of the book, I found the plot sagging a little bit, but it didn’t stop me from reading or wanting to find out how it all ends. I put this book down with warm feelings around my heart and I would certainly read another book from this author.

No comments: