Friday, September 11, 2009

Welcome to Dakota Cassidy's guest blog


Welcome Ms. Dakota Cassidy to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.

Thanks for having me!

Did you always want to become a writer?

Nope. I wanted to move to Hollywood and sing duets with Barry Manilow. LOL. I didn’t know I wanted to be a writer until I was one.


What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

The most interesting has to be that you can come from anywhere, not have any particular type of degree or schooling and still write a story and get yourself published.

The least interesting fact is probably that I’m not very interesting. LOL

How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

Well, that was back in 2007 with The Accidental Werewolf and I was so crazy nervous, I spent more tie contemplating yarking my lunch up in the bathroom than celebrating. Though, I had an awesome book launch party with all my BFF’s and some fab fans who flew in specifically to attend.

Actually seeing the book in the store made me sob like a two year old who’d had his Gummi Bear privileges revoked. It was scary and awesome all at the same time. And I don’t have a particular ritual, no. I just pray. A. Lot.


How did your family react to fact that you write romance novels? Have your family read your book?

My mom’s read them, my sons, not so much. They’re totally not interested in any kind of romance. And I have to say, everyone was very supportive of my crazy hours and off-balance work schedule. Good thing, or I’d have to fire them and hunt for a new family


Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

OMG—NINA BANGS. She was a huge influence on me because she’s got some pretty whacky, fun concepts. But I love all sorts of authors—Karen Rose, Dean Koontz, Mark Henry, Louisa Edwards, Stephen King, Michele Bardsley—to name a few.

Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

Uh, no. I have too many darned people living with me as it is. More people would just mess stuff up. LOLLOL. My characters are creations from my crazy brain, but I don’t have conversations with them or set a place at the table for them. They definitely have conversations in my head, but not with me. I’m just thinking up dialogue.

Your release calendar is really full, which I love as a fan of your books, do you have a problem with deadlines and have you ever suffered a writers block?

There will be NO writer’s block. None! LOL. It’s a job. I treat it as such. I have slower word count days than others, but I refuse to give in. And thus far, knock on some form of wood, I haven’t missed a single deadline. Now that said, look out for Rapture

Do you prefer stand-alone books or series (As a reader or a writer) ?

Oh, I love them both. I love a series because you have a chance to get to know secondary characters, and I love stand alone’s because sometimes, once really is enough

If you could change places with one character from your book, who would it be and why?

Oh, it’d for sure be Nina from Accidentally Dead. She’s a horrible potty mouth, but she says what she thinks out loud, no matter what. I’d have a field day

What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

I can’t choose! They’re all like kids to me—unique and special in their own ways.

Would you like to give another genre a try?

I would. In fact, I am. I’m hitting contemporaries hardcore come December 2010 with Suck It Up, Princess! It’s a three book series based on ex-trophy wives and their readjustment to the world of coupon clipping and Wal-Mart.

Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

The easiest by far was Accidentally Dead. I had a plan and I knew where I was going. Hardest was my July release, My Way To Hell because it involves a little boy—and I can’t tell you what that means.

If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?

Probably the one I’m working on now, Suck It Up, Princess. I’d totally love Sandra Bullock to play Maxine—she’s just nutty enough to pull it off. The hero would have to be John Cusack. He’s enough snarky to handle Maxine’s nuttiness, but he’s also got that goof factor about him—which I LOVE in a man.


Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?


I do and it has to be music without words or I sing along. I do a lot of classical, movie scores and Kenny G.


Big congrats to your latest release Kiss and Hell, can you please tell us something about the book?


Thank you! Kiss and Hell’s about a medium named Delaney Markham who owns an herb store (and lives with six dogs) and when times are tough, does the occasional séance for cash—because she really can talk to the dead. During a séance, Clyde Atwell, a demon, shows up and informs her he’s supposed to bring her to Satan. But not everything’s what it appears, and do-gooder Delaney falls in love with demon Clyde. Then they typical mayhem and madness occurs.


Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?


As of this moment I’m working on my contemporary series. The first is Suck It Up, Princess and it’s about a woman in her forties who’s left with no money, a son to support, not a job skill in sight other than arranging canapés on a platter, and ends up living with her mother in a senior citizens retirement village. Again, more mayhem and madness while Maxine learns to suck it up.

Contest:


One random poster will win a 20 Dollar Amazon gift card. Good luck everyone! Check back tomorrow to see if you won.

82 comments:

booklover0226 said...

What a great and fun interview; I enjoyed it.

Thanks,
Tracey

Donna said...

Hi Dakota,
Big time fan. Thanks for hours of entertainment.
Donna

Heather C said...

Hi Dakota!!! A happy TGIF to you. For a 4 day work week, its be exhausting, but a great interview is a nice way to end the week. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your books.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Dakota!

Loved the interview. You always say something to make me smile. :)

I can't wait for your new book to come out. I'm a HUGE fan!!

starryann2000 said...

Hello what an interesting title Kiss and Hell might I ask how you came up with that name as it is interesting. Hope you've had a good summer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Dakota,
Love your books, love your interviews. You always make me smile. Your books make me laugh so hard I cry. That is a REALLY good thing. I can't wait for more of your books to come out. Me, addictive personality? NEVER!! LOL

Happy writing!! TGIF.

Debi Murray said...

Hi Dakota,

TGIF, baby. TGIF!

Jennifer said...

Hi Dakota!!! As usual another awesome interview!!
Smooches Babe!!
Jennifer

TaylorMa said...

Hey Dakota! Just wanted to say that I LOVE your books, the Accidently series is fabulous. Your use of humor and the type of humor are PERFECT, I just adore it! I think it is your humor that sets your books apart! I am looking forward to Accidently Demonic! Great Interview!

Taylor

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Love Romances Dakota. :)

Thanks for coming and I guess I have to move your books on up onmy reading pile. They sound really good. :-P

Dawn
Owner-LRC

Jana Armstrong said...

Love your paranormal books, Dakota, but can I just say I'm so excited for Suck it Up, Princess??

Thanks!!

Jana

Stephanie Keller said...

Hi Dakota, what is next for you another in the Kiss and Hell genre or another marty story when she gives birth and see how her child comes out?

Anonymous said...

Hi Dakota, what is next for you another in the genre of Kiss and Hell or another one on Marty when she has the baby and how that turns out? Stephanie Keller

Suzette said...

Do you picture anyone particular when writing a character? You mentioned Sandra and John for the newest series but what about the previous ones? Just curious.

cait045 said...

Hey Dakota

How is it going. Awesome interview. Can't wait to read Kiss and Tell I love that she has 6 dogs I wish I could have that many

caity

Tamsyn said...

Hi Dakota, TGIF! Interesting interview. I am a fan of Nina Bangs too. Love her humour. Kiss and Tell sounds good too. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Pamk said...

love your books. loog long long time fan. and the title for your new one rocks. suck it up princess. i totally love it.

Anonymous said...

Loved the interview. Kiss and Hell sounds like agreat book to read. I love your books and love all the different titles and stories u come out with.

Ellz said...

Dakota, you always make me laugh! Barry Manilo-ugh but Sandra Bullock rocks! I am excited to hear about your new book, I can't wait. Great interview!

Ellz said...

Dakota, you always make me laugh. Great interview but Barry Manilow-ugh. Sandra Bullock rocks though. I am excited to hear about your new book, I'll be watching for it.

Michelle C said...

I love the accidental series. Your infusion of humor into the storyline is delightful.

Please keep the books coming.

Thank you for your work and TGIF!!! :)

Unknown said...

Hi from Austin, Texas! Dakota I just love your books. Keep them coming. The interview was great.
Hope you have a good weekend.

Rose DLF

Peggy said...

Hi Dakota ! You're right, just showing up on Friday is hard work.

Thanks for brigtening the day!

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Your next book sounds like a winner!!!
Kaye

Stacy L. said...

Dakota - Great interview! I love your Accidental series. Can't wait to see what you do with your contemporaries. Have a great and fun Friday!

Stacy

Tamara B. said...

Dakota,
Hey there love reading your books and can't wait for your Suck It Up, Princess book you are working on to come out! Great idea for the hero being John Cusack, I just love him. My favorite movie he was in was Serendipity : )

Marguerite Hall said...

ENTERTAINING INTERVIEW AS ALWAYS! DAKOTA, YOU TOTALLY RAWK!!!!

Lori said...

DAKOTA ROCKS!

Jasmine said...

Great interview Dakota!

Unknown said...

Love your books. They always make my day better :)

Jess

Tracy said...

Awesome interview, Dakota! I can't wait for your next book. Your stories entertain me, and isn't that what reading is all about?

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your interview. We can always count on you for a laugh and a good time. Thanks so much. I enjoy you books alot.

marcy said...

Hey DAKOTA! Great interview and I LOVE your books!

Unknown said...

Great interview!!! I will be getting Kiss and hell as soon as my temporary poverty leaves!! I hate being poor!! Severely limits my new book purchases!!

Denise

Corie said...

Hi Dakota!
I just finished Kiss and Hell and loved it! I was rolling on the floor laughing the entire time! The funny thing is I was in B&N walking around looking for a book and the cover of Kiss and Hell caught my eye so I decided, what the f, I'll give it a shot, and I couldn't put the darn thing down once I started! You are the best! You've inspired me to try and write a book one day. Anyway, have a great weekend!

Thanks,
Corie

Cybercliper said...

Hi Dakota...great interview! I have the entire Accidental Friends series and can hardly wait for Accidentially Demonic!

Dakota Cassidy said...

Hey, everyone--sorry I'm a bit late, but it was a busy last night with the writing and I didn't get to bed until 5 :)

Stephanie, no plans for Marty to have her own book, but you'll hear from her in Accidentally Demonic, coming out in Feb 2010! The book after Kiss and Hell is My Way To Hell, releasing July 2010.

And thanks so, everyone for popping in!

DC :)

Terri said...

GOOD interview

Please don't enter me in the contest

Deborah Blake said...

I've read all your other books so far and loved them--can't wait to get the new one, and see what the contemporaries end up like :-)

And you are too interesting...

Says the REALLY boring writer

Kaz said...

As always, you are too funneee ;0)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dakota,
Loved Kiss and Hell, great book!!! Can't wait for My Way to Hell to come out and of course Accidentally Demonic to come out, should be another great one!! Thanks for the many hours of enjoyment, you're the best!!

Lyndad

flip said...

Dakota I enjoy your books and your twitters.

Dakota Cassidy said...

Hi, Suzette!

Nope. My characters aren't typically based on movies stars etc, and I almost never compare them to one when I describe them in my books. I mostly just have a vision in my head of a man or a woman that I put together features of, and go with it :)

And thanks, everyone--keep 'em comin'!

Dakota :)

LORETTA CANTON said...

Great interview. I love your books thet are so funny.


lorettaC.
lbcanton@verizon.net

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Hehe. Does that mean your rock band does not interfer in your writing schedule! LOL. My hubs is talking about getting the beatles one.. * shakes head*

Thanks for the interview

darkreader said...

Loved the interview, and your books rock! Can't wait for the next to come out.

Debby said...

What a nice interview. Great reading!!

The Scarf Princess said...

Great interview! So happy you could be here! Have read and enjoyed your erotic work and am looking forward to more.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Miki said...

Hey Dakota! Can't wait to dig into Accidentally Dead (I'm kind of a late-comer to your books) and loved the interview. {you so crazy, girl...} Also looking forward to your next vlog. LOL Love your wit, woman! :o)
Miki

Ladyslipper said...

Again an awesome interview. Very good attitude about writer's block. Keep up the great work. Your books are sinfully good to the last bite.

PattyR from ND

Unknown said...

Hi Dakota,
Really enjoyed your interview, and love your books. Good luck with you new books.

Jeanette

Cathy M said...

Hi Dakota, love your titles. Just finished reading Kiss and Hell, so, so good.

Mint said...

Great interview. I'll definately have to read this one.

Linda Henderson

Dani said...

Hey Dakota! Loving your books and I can't wait for the future ones. I wish you continued success!

Unknown said...

I've loved your work so far, Dakota, but I'm really looking forward to your contemporaries that are soon to be!

Lisa Mason said...

Stopping by to show some love for Dakota! Have a great weekend!!!!
xoxo

Amanda Williamson said...

I love your books and your personality!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Dakota!

Love the great interview and the pic!

I haven't had a chance to read your books but I have heard things about them.

Thanks for the contest!

Terri W.

tetewa said...

Enjoyed the interview and looking forward to the read! tWarner419@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Your latest book description kind of reminds me of my Mama except she was left with 2 girls and a boy.Anyway, great interview and thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Jen said...

Oh, it’d for sure be Nina from Accidentally Dead. She’s a horrible potty mouth, but she says what she thinks out loud, no matter what. I’d have a field day

This is EXACTLY why I love Nina.

Loved the interview, thanks for having Dakota stop by.

LaurieP said...

Love your books!! I feel like those gals are friends of mine. And I miss them. Love Delaney too.

And I happen to love Barry!

Dakota Cassidy said...

you guys are SO awesome! Thank you, thank you!

Dakota :)

Unknown said...

Woohoo!!! It's Friday! :) Enjoy the weekend!!

Asylumgirl said...

Hi Dakota! How do you come up with names for your characters?

Deidre

Beth said...

Dakota
I love your sense of humor
Beth

Unknown said...

Kiss and Hell sounds great! Great interview!

Enchanted by Books said...

Loved the interview and I love your books! Please enter me! :)

Dakota Cassidy said...

Hey, guys! Thanks so, SO much for posting--y'all rocked my socks off!

Dakota :)

ReadingIsSoMuchFun said...

Hello Dakota. Great interview :-) Love your books. I am loving the title for Suck It Up, Princess. Sounds good. Please enter me in the contest, thank you.

Hugssss
LindaH

Stacey Smith said...

Congrats on Kiss&Hell Looks like a good book.will be getting it when I can.
sasluvbooks@yahoo.com

Pam P said...

Stopping by to ay hi, Dakota - the stuff that comes out of your crazy brain is soooo entertaining!

alanajoli said...

Yay for more Dakota online! I've been loving the vlogs over on your blog, and following your travails about SUCK IT UP, PRINCESS has been great.

I'd love to know if you still dream of having a duet with Barry Manilow. Any chance of that happening? :)

annalisa said...

Hi Dakota!
Enjoyed your interview. Love all of your books and can hardly wait for Accidentally Demonic and My Way to Hell to be released. Suck It Up, Princess sounds really good too. Any chance they might come out sooner than 2010? :)

annalisa
TOPSAIL246@aol.com

Gina G. said...

Hey DC! Love the interview, glad to see you weren't wearing yellow. Got a call from Nina (your vamp not Bangs) and she said she is tapping her #$#%@# foot and getting tired of waiting for G#$@%!@ followup to the girls reunion. Hey, I didn't say it - she did. Come on, she said she slap me happy if I didn't relay the message, and that would hurt considering she's got all that vamp strength now.

BTW - Kiss and Hell is AWESOME!
OKay - here's the q and please forgive my ignorance in advance - Is it considered rude when a fan shows up at a book signing with a book they bought from a different story, in a different city, in a different state because the fan didn't know you where going to be anywhere near their neck of the woods? (ooohhh, that actually sounds like a question from a werewolf!)

Gina Growe in Springfield, IL where my dogs are going crazy cause a coyote just ran down the sidewalk! No kidding - and I live right by the Mall.

Maggi said...

I love your books - you are so fun Dakota! And I, too, hate the color yellow!

donnas said...

Great interview. Love the Accidental Friends series. Cant wait to read Kiss and Hell.

cstotts1 said...

Loved the interview, also love all your books. Thanks for writing them!!!

Dannyfiredragon said...

The winner of Dakota's prize is Laurie P.

Big congrats. Please send me an e-mail, danny . lrm @gmail.com (leave out the spaces) so I can forward your information to Dakota.

Dakota Cassidy said...

Hi, Alana! I still want to hangout with Barry, and I'd kill to be the person he picks from the audience to dance with him at each concert he does, but I prolly don't want to sing anymore. I'm too old to put the kind of effort it takes into being a starlet. LOL

Gina--you crack my ass up! No, it's not rude. And trust me when I tell you--I've had people bring all sorts of crazy stuff to a signing :)

Thanks, everyone for being so darn cool and coming out in support of me! You guys always have my back!

DC :)

Kershia said...

Love your books.