Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome to Diana Holquist's guest blog: Contest: Whose Plot Did I Steal?


"How do you come up with your ideas?" People ask me this all the time.


Well, the answer is easy: I steal them. Which is kind of funny because most of the reviews for HOW TO TAME A MODERN ROGUE rave about the "originality" of the plot. I suppose for a modern romance novel, it is original. Here’s the scoop:


HOW TO TAME A MODERN ROGUE is a contemporary romance about a grandmother who thinks she's living in a regency romance novel. She mistakes her granddaughter for a virgin princess she must marry off. She mistakes a not-so-perfect stranger for the noble duke whom she believes is her granddaughter’s perfect match.


But the idea of a character mistaking herself for a character in an old book is truly as old as the hills. In fact, the book I stole it from is considered one of the first novels ever written.


Recognize that plot? Who did I steal it from?


Here are some clues:


One thing I loved about this classic plot is the idea that the crazy see things more sanely than everyone else.


The second thing I loved about it is the idea that a man can be saved by just one person mistaking him for a good, noble person.


What novel have you read/written lately that has "borrowed" from other sources? Does it bother you? Do you like it? Do you even notice?


The first person who comes up with the original book I stole from will get a free, signed copy of HOW TO TAME A MODERN ROGUE.


Thanks so much for hanging out here with me today. If you want to know more about ROGUE, you can visit my website at http://dianaholquist.com.

14 comments:

ErinT said...

I am going to go out on a limb here and say Don Quixote.

I had to really use my brain for that one!
~Erin

ErinT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Holquist said...

Ah, geez...guess I made it too easy :-)

Okay, one book to ErinT.

You know what's funny--no one in any review has mentioned Don Quixote, so I really thought maybe it WAS too out there and no one would get it.

Another free book to a random commenter? Why not? Leave a comment, and I'll pick one out of a hat at the end of the day (New York Eastern time).

--Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This sounds like a wonderful story. I haven't read any of your books, but I must remedy that asap.

Sorry, but I'm stumped on your question...hehe!!! Erin looks like she made a good guess though.

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

GRRRR.... I'm too late !!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dannyfiredragon said...

Big congrats Erin!

ErinT said...

Wow, I actually guessed right? I guess that Classical Literature class I took actually paid off! LOL. That's awesome! Thanks so much! I loved tour book Sexiest Man Alive! I can't wait to read this one!

chey said...

I might notice if I've read the other book. It doesn't bother me.

Diana Holquist said...

I'm so happy you got it, Erin. Maybe it wasn't so easy after all....

And I"m so glad you liked Sexiest Man Alive.

Send your snailmail to me at Diana@dianaholquist.com and I'll send out a book.

--Diana

Diana Holquist said...

Thanks so much everyone for stopping by. My random hat pick for the second book goes to....

Valerie!

E-mail me your snailmail to diana@dianaholquist.com and I'll send it out.

Thanks again for having me here. It's been a blast. Good night, everyone.

--Diana

Dannyfiredragon said...

Big congrats Valerie!

I know you will enjoy Diana's book. I loved her previous releases!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Thanks so much!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com