Tuesday, December 22, 2009

THE BARGAIN BRIDE by Barbara Metzger

Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Date published: November 2009
ISBN: 9780451228451
Historical Romance
Paperback
Reviewed by Penny
Obtained via: Publisher


For thirteen years, Penny has lived a quiet country life waiting for her betrothed to come and wed her. She has not waited patiently, however. She is rather resentful and irritated. So when the Viscount Westfield shows up to claim her hand, finally, she is less than enthused. But then again, so is West. He would be more than happy to simply return the moneys that her father gave his late father to procure the marriage. The only reason he has traveled to claim his reluctant bride’s hand is because her father has threatened him if he does not do so. Now it seems that due to the wealthy banker’s threats, both West and Penny have no choice but to wed.

This is a fantastic book! It is not completely new and innovative, but is so well written and kept me amused that I really did not care that the basic storyline has been told before. Penny is such a character. I cannot even count the number of times she made me smile. And to add to the enjoyment of the book, author Barbara Metzger adds a little tidbit at the top of each chapter about arranged marriages in the form of a quote from a chronicle of arranged marriages. Many of these quotes made me laugh out loud.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is well written, the characters are well rounded, three dimensional, and totally believable. THE BARGAIN BRIDE is the best Historical Romance that I have read in a long time. I am so glad that this book came my way to review. I think I shall read it again… and soon.

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS BOOK. THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE UNBIASED REVIEW.

No comments: