Sunday, December 13, 2009

Welcome to Kari Thomas' guest blog!


Welcome Ms. Thomas to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.


Did you always want to become a writer?

K: Always! My mom taught me to read and write before I started school, and with her influence (she was a writer) I penned my first stories!


What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

K: Most interesting is “meeting” people who read your books. The Internet has allowed readers and authors to connect ---where this didn’t used to be the case so much. I think it’s fantastic “meeting” everyone and gaining new friends. The Least fun fact is that you have to constantly Promote and I’m not so crazy about doing that.


How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

K: I celebrated by going out with friends. And of course, a New Release is always a great excuse to indulge (or OVER-indulge, as is my case!) in chocolate!



How did your family react to fact that you write romance novels? Have your family read your book?

K: They’re embarrassed! Honest! They read my first book and said they couldn’t believe that I’d written SEX scenes in it. The kewl thing is that every time they tell someone that, (with shocked looks on their faces,) then someone else is determined to read one of my books just to see what they’re shocked about! LOL!


Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

K: I tell everyone I’m a confessed “Book-a-Holic”! LOL! I have over 3,000 books in my own personal home library, and I buy more on a weekly basis. As for influence, I’d have to say my Mom first, and then in the pre-teen years it was Barbara Cartland. I also devoured (read!) all of JRR Tolkien’s books by the time I was in the 5th grade. THOSE books definitely left me with an urge to create stories. I then graduated to “stronger” Romances, Paranormals, and Fantasy. But, I can’t pick one favorite author --- I have too many.


Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

K: My characters are sooooo REAL to me that I find myself thinking of how one of them might react to certain situations when I’m writing a new book. I talk to them, while I’m writing, and I’ve even found myself mentioning them in conversations! Argh. It’s a Definite now: authors have to have a bit of insanity in them to be writers in the first place! LOL! As for Role Models, nope. Every one of my characters are original creations that came to life in my mind first and then breathed onto paper. What can I say? I have a BIG imagination! LOL---take my Hero Drake from “Her Heart His Soul”. He’s part Angel, part Demon. Readers are always commenting how “unique” he is.


Where do you get the inspirations for your books?

K: Having an over-active, crazy imagination helps every time! LOL! Seriously though, an idea pops in my head and then I do a lot of reading and even researching before actually starting a book.


Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?

K: Much to my family’s dismay, NO! I think the Romance/Sex makes the story by bringing the characters to even more “real life”.


Do you have a problem with deadlines and have you ever suffered a writers block?

K: I’ve fired so many “Muses” over the years! Writers Block isn’t fun, and every Muse should be aware that I don’t handle it well at all. As for deadlines, there have been times when I cut it too close because of Life Intrusion. I actually finished an 83,000 words book with 2 days to spare. The remaining two days I just sat there staring at my computer and thinking: I don’t HAVE to write?


Do you prefer stand-alone books or series (As a reader or a writer) ?

K: As a Reader I absolute LOVE series! But as a writer, I can’t seem to write them. By the time I’ve been with my characters through a whole book, I’m ready to start something new. (Bad me!) I think it relates to a short attention span! I received a lot of mail from Readers on my very first book (Temptation Unleashed) wanting sequels to the story. I finally ended up writing two Short Epilogues. They’re offered as FREE READS (see my site on the Books Page). The first one is the hero’s brother’s love story. The second is the hero’s sister’s love story. I keep getting requests for other Sequels on all my other books, but I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance/time to write them. (grin)



If you could change places with one character from your book, who would it be and why?

My absolute favorite heroine is Kitlene Skye (from UNDER A SHIFTER’S MOON). I had her (and the hero) character in my mind for several years before I finally found the right story for them. So, she “lived” in my thoughts longer than any of the others. She’s a strong woman with vulnerabilities that make her all the more special. She has a serious health problem that may cost her, her life. Her reactions and decisions in the book were all-too similar to what I would have done. So, I guess, she’s a bit like me in way-too-many telling ways. (grin) And then, of course, her hero is Lyon Savage. And THAT alpha male is the type of man every woman dreams she could have!


What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

K; UH OH. That just wouldn’t be fair to my characters if I chose one! Kitlene and Lyon (Under a Shifter’s Moon) have a love that is Invincible. Kira and Aiden (Temptation Unleashed) have a love strong enough to fight incredible Evil. Logan and Tara (Hunted Mate) have a sensual love that breaks all taboo and boundaries. Sara and Drake (Her Heart His Soul) have a love “not of this world”. Kane and Bethany (Prey for the Wolf) have a love that scorches the pages with its eroticism. And everyone falls in love with Bailey and Colt (Seducing The Hero) who have a love that proves that anyone can have a second chance at Happy-Ever-After.


Would you like to give another genre a try?

K: I’m trying a Time Travel now, but not sure if I’m going to leave it that way. And I have a Fantasy (with Romance elements) that is tugging at my creative mind right now.


Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

K: “Seducing the Hero” was the easiest. It’s only Novella length (23,000 words approx.). And it was so fun. I actually wrote this because I wanted to enter a RWA Contest just to see what happens. I had been asked to be Contest Judge and wanted more experience. So, I wrote it in less than a week and entered it. It won 3rd Place!!

I’d have to say the hardest to write was “Temptation Unleashed” because I had difficulties in giving the hero any “weaknesses”. Aiden came off so strong, so alpha. He’s the head of a family of unique Shapeshifters and he took his responsibilities way too serious. His youngest brother is murdered by a Sorcerer, and he hates anything and everything about witchcraft. So, when witch Kira comes into their lives, he actually works very had to keep hating her. I had to edit a lot and keep reminding myself that Aiden needed a “softer side” as well as his tough one.


If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?

K: OH NO. Not choosing again! LOL! Okay, I’ve had many readers say:


HUNTED MATE.

TEMPTATION UNLEASHED

UNDER A SHIFTER’S MOON

PREY FOR THE WOLF.

HER HEART HIS SOUL.

Uh oh. That leaves “Seducing the Hero”. Hmm! LOL!

And as for casting, I’d be VERY picky, cause each character is so special and unique.


If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

K: I’d love to see the Old South as it was before the Civil War. I’m a Southerner and I love the idea of women who were incredibly strong as well as feminine, and men who were gallant, brave, and oh-so-protective of their women.

Despite saying that, I think I’m more Melanie (Gone with the Wind) than Scarlett. (grin)


Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?

K: Gotta have Nickleback playing! That lead singer has the sexiest voice!


Big congrats to your latest release, can you please tell us something about the book?

The latest is PREY FOR THE WOLF, with Eternal Press. It’s Novella length (26,000 words approx) and a Shapeshifter Romance. Kane is a too-sexy-for-his-own-good Alpha Wolf Shifter who sets his sights on Prey….his brother’s fiancĂ©. It was Released Nov. 7 and immediately hit the Top BEST SELLERS LIST at Fictionwise as #5. It’s still there, 18 days later, though it’s dropped some. And the Reviews are coming in, with fantastic comments. To say I’m proud is an understatement!


Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?

K: I’m 30,000 words into a Paranormal Romance that has the h/h dropped into a Parallel world. All of my heroes (with the exception of Colt in “Seducing the Hero”) are Preternatural. But in this one, Hunter is very much human. It’s been so fun writing him because of his reactions to everything paranormal going on in the plot.


THANKS for having me! I would love everyone to visit my site: and also to feel free to drop me an email at authorkari@yahoo.com. If anyone is interested in the FREE READS, contact me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice interview Kari. Sounds like a great book...will have to stop by and grab it.

Mary Corrales said...

Excellent interview! As I've read your books I can definitely say that they aren't to be missed.

Tabitha Shay said...

Congrats, Kari, on your many successes...Great interview....Tabs

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari,

You know I LOVE your books!!! Everyone should run out now and get them!!!!

Valerie
in Germany

J said...

Hi Kari! Great interview! I definitely related to some of your answers...I don't even tell most of my family what I write! Congratulations on the wild success of PREY FOR THE WOLF, too.

booklover0226 said...

I enjoyed the interview; it was great.

I'll check out your website soon.

Thanks,
Tracey D