Friday, July 30, 2010

THE BRICKLAYER’S HELPER by Amy Corwin

Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Publication Date: July 2010
ISBN: 1-60154-793-5
Historical Romance
E-book
Reviewed by Penny
Obtained via: Publisher


CLICK TO PURCHASE! Due to the fire that destroyed her home and her entire family, Sarah has had to pretend to be the bricklayer, a boy named Sam for the last thirteen years. But now someone knows her secret! Is it a murderer that has found her and wants to finish the job he started years ago? In desperation Sara turns to Inquiry agent, William Trenchard for help. William finds himself intrigued by Sam. Something just doesn’t seem right. How can he be attracted to some little scamp of a boy? And how long will it take William to find out that Sam is really Sarah!

I must say, I giggled some at poor William’s dilemma. How could he be attracted to a red-dust covered laborer boy? Come on, you gotta find that amusing, right? But this is not a comedy, but a romance! Although the narrative of a young female, destitute or in danger, posing as a boy is not unique I did find this story had enough artifice and appeal to keep me interested and involved. The characters are soundly thought out and skillfully penned. I felt my heartstrings being pulled for Sarah’s plight. She seems to have a number of mothers and fathers wanting her to wed their daughters. I thought this was an entertaining and lively twist to the tale!

THE BRICKLAYER’S HELPER snagged my attention and I quite enjoyed the book. And I must confess, the ending was unexpected and thoroughly enjoyable. So if you are looking for a pleasant way to spend an afternoon, don’t pass up THE BRICKLAYER’S HELPER.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you so much for the review--I sincerely appreciate it.

And I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season filled with joy and laughter!

Amy Corwin
http://www.amycorwin.com