Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PROMISE OF PLEASURE by Cheryl Holt

Publisher: Berkeley
Date published: April 2010
ISBN: 978-0425235089
Paperback
Historical romance
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained via Publisher


Jordan Winthrop has arrived for one thing only. To secure the hand of a spoiled, very rich young woman, have his marriage night with her and then return to the arms of his mistress. He has brought his mistress along with him on this journey, plus a friend, another renowned rake. While he is there, however, he comes across Mary Barnes, his betrothed's stepsister. At first he thinks she is a maid, but later finds out that she is being treated unjustly. The scoundrel decides to have some sport and sets out to seduce the young maid. Mary is thrilled with his advances and falls in love with the cad. But he is still pursuing his original plan unless Mary is the one to change is rakish ways.

After I read this book and decided on my rating I was a bit wary. I thought, how could I give the great Cheryl Holt such a low rating? I was so upset about this that I went to Amazon and looked at the ratings there for this book, and lo and behold, I was not the only one who did not really like this book. I have come to expect much better from this author and it’s a shame that this story is just not up to par. The thing it’s the hero. He is so unlikeable. He’s rude, a liar, two-timing, a complete egoist. I really couldn’t see how Mary could fall in love with him…unless it was the sex she fell in love with. This was like a Cinderella story gone wrong. I am truly sorry, Ms. Holt but this won’t stop me reading more of your stories.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: