Friday, September 3, 2010

Meet Felicity Heaton-Comment to win





To get us started can you tell us a little about what you are working on or have coming out?
I am currently writing my first foray into paranormal angel romance. The first book in the series, Her Dark Angel, has just come out on August 28th, and the next in the series comes out on October 16th. At the moment, I’m writing the third novella in the series, Her Warrior Angel, which is due out on November 20th, so I have to get my skates on!

What makes a book great in your eyes?
It has to have passion. I’m not talking about sex scene sort of passion, but emotional intensity. It really has to convey the rollercoaster ride that is love, and life, capturing it and sucking the reading into that world and the hero/heroine’s life in that moment. I love to read about people falling for each other and all that entails, as long as it’s realistic and written well.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?
Erm, besides the obvious chocolate? I love indulging in watching anime (sometimes for 12 hours straight) or playing RPGs, especially Final Fantasy games.

Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you.
That I’m a total geek and not only do I love anime, manga, and games, but I’m also learning to speak Japanese.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Well, I would have to say Japan. I would love to live in Tokyo and envy my brother-in-law who has been living in Japan for several years now. If it couldn’t be Japan, then I would love to live in either Italy or Australia. I visited Australia in 2010 and it was amazing. Everyone was really friendly, and it was so warm and relaxing. A totally different world.

What authors are on your virtual or literal keeper shelf?
Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Elizabeth Gaskell. In more modern fiction, it has to be Terry Pratchett for definite. He has yet to write a book I didn’t love. I also fall regularly in and out of love with J R Ward, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Lara Adrian. Sometimes I like their stories and sometimes they just don’t grab me completely and I wander on to other books.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?
I’d probably recommend different books based on what genre they were interested in. If it’s paranormal, then I think I would point them in the direction of Seventh Circle (vampire romance), Winter’s Kiss (vampire/werewolf romance) or Her Dark Angel (angel/witch romance). If they were into science-fiction, then I’d point them in the direction of my Sons of Lyra series, or Daughters of Lyra series.

If there was a soundtrack to your latest novel, what genre/songs would be included?
I’m really into alternative music, amongst other genres, and find a lot of inspiration there for characters and story scenes. Her Dark Angel would have some seriously sexy tunes in it. There’s a great scene in a club where they’re dancing and I have a few alternative tunes in mind for it, all heavy beats and plenty of rhythm. Other than that, there would be softer music too. I normally write to a mix of tunes made for each story, so Her Dark Angel has bands like Three Days Grace, OneRepublic, The Fray, Green River Ordinance, Tupelo Honey, Pete Murray and Lifehouse.

Which of your characters would you most likely fall for if they were real?
That’s a toughie. I think I fall in love with all of my heroes as I write them. At the moment, I’m writing Einar in Her Warrior Angel, but I’m not in love with him yet. It’s too early in the story. The ones who really stay with me are Valentine, from my Prophecy Trilogy in my Vampires Realm series, Erik from my In Heat shapeshifter series, and a vampire by the name of Aleksandr who is in Heart of Darkness, which I’m writing for release in 2011.

Besides the bedroom, what's the sexiest part of your home in your opinion and why?
The bathroom. I just wish the shower was bigger.

What are you working on now?
I’m writing Her Warrior Angel right now, the third book in the Her Angel series of novellas. It’s the story of Einar, a hunter angel, and his mission to find three demons who are responsible for killing a lot of humans. He crosses paths with Taylor, a sassy part-demon woman who is also a hunter. They fall pretty hard for each other, even though relationships between demons and angels are strictly forbidden!

I’m also working on four novels for next year. Love Immortal is an epic paranormal romance with people who have all sorts of powers, and vampires and werewolves too. Ascension is a romance about a witch and her ex-lover who is a half-demon, who she turns to for protection when someone tries to kill her. Heart of Darkness is the vampire Aleksandr’s story of love and redemption, and then Forbidden Blood, which is a rather intense romance with a lot of action/plot twists to keep you on your toes!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I guess I’ve always felt I was a writer from the moment I penned my first story and it became an addiction. I’m compelled to write, and it’s a bug that doesn’t go away. I keep thinking up more and more stories to write, and there’s just never enough time to get them all down and out into the world. I’d love to catch up with all my ideas, but I know that as I finish writing one idea, I’ll get another two that I’ll be compelled to write. I think that’s what makes me a writer. I have all these stories to share with readers and the world, and I’m going to go out there and do it.

What inspired you to write your first book?
Well, the first book I actually started writing was back when I was fourteen. I was inspired to write it because my English teacher picked out my first chapter to read to class when we had to write an opening scene of a gothic horror. It really boosted my confidence, and I wrote more for the story, but then school got in the way and the story sort of drifted out of my life. It was seven years ago when I was inspired to write again, but it was another two years after that when I wrote my first piece of original fiction because a friend inspired me to give it a go. I haven’t looked back. Friends and people really make all the difference. When I hear that someone loved a story of mine, or has read it over and over, or that it touched them in some way or helped them through a difficult time, I get really inspired to keep writing.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I think I do. I think all authors have their own style and voice. I love to write close third person. I don’t like first person and can’t read books written in it as I want to know both sides of the story. I love to get right into the head of the hero and heroine, and any other POV characters, and live the story through them so it will come to life for the readers. I write with a lot of life and emotion, and always want that to come through, so the reader gets the story they deserve—one that will suck them right in, make them laugh and cry, and make them sigh at the end.

How did you come up with the title?
Her Dark Angel is the first story in the Her Angel series. It just sort of came to me, and then I thought about the other two stories I wanted to write, and decided on their names too—Her Fallen Angel and Her Warrior Angel. Believe me, it was one of the easier book naming trials I’ve been through!

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I think the message is that no matter how bad things get, or how much someone hurts you and how much you want revenge, things will get better. There’s always someone else out there who will love you, and will treat you right, even if he is a dark angel!

How much of the book is realistic?
Well, I’ve been to Paris, so I’ve tried to be as realistic about the setting as possible. It’s tricky to be realistic with the characters, since they’re an angel and a witch, but the emotions they feel, the confusion, fear and love, are all very real indeed.

Where can readers find you on the web?
All over the place. Lol. I’m everywhere. No, seriously. Readers are more than welcome to visit my sites:
My Vampires Realm series site: http://www.vampiresrealm.com

And they can find me on:
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1228468.Felicity_E_Heaton



Her Dark Angel
An angel without a mission, Apollyon lives trapped in Hell guarding the bottomless pit. Surrounded by endless darkness, he longs to fly free on Earth once more but his master hasn’t called him in centuries. When the call finally comes, it’s to serve a new master, a beautiful woman he has often watched over, a woman who has always captivated him.

Serenity is shocked when a gorgeous black-winged angel shows up in her city of Paris claiming that she called him when she was only casting a simple vengeance spell. He’s no other than the angel of death! When Apollyon offers to obey her and help her have revenge on her cheating ex-boyfriend, she can’t resist the temptation, but can she resist him? Can an angel as dark as Apollyon ever fall for a mortal woman like her?

Their charade as lovers quickly becomes reality when one dance leads to another and Apollyon proves that he’s as sinful as he looks. His sensual and hungry touch brings Serenity back to life, freeing her from the hurt of being betrayed and reigniting her passion, but she can’t ignore her growing fear. Lost in their moment together, Apollyon realises that there is a reason he heard her call—he’s in love with her.

But will Serenity see past the wings and believe that Apollyon returns her feelings and won’t hurt her? When her ex-boyfriend asks her to forgive him and be with him again, will she take the easy route or will she find the courage to fly away with her dark angel?

Dark, passionate and erotic, Her Dark Angel is a tale of intense desire and deepest forbidden love guaranteed to get your heart racing.

ALL OF THE STORIES IN THE HER ANGEL SERIES STAND ALONE, JOINED BY CHARACTER AND WORLD ONLY, AND DO NOT NEED TO BE READ IN ORDER.



CONTEST: One commenter will win a goodie pack from LR&M that includes bookmarks, postcards, playing cards and more. Comment to win. Drawing to be Sunday September 5th, 2010.

9 comments:

Linda Henderson said...

Her Dark Angel sounds like a very interesting story. I will be looking for this one.

seriousreader at live dot com

*yadkny* said...

Great interview! Felicity is a new to me author so this was a great way to get to know her and her books. Can't wait for all your upcoming releases and I think I've just added a few more to my TBR list! Thanks:)

yadkny@hotmail.com

SiNn said...

wow another new to me author and i just love those covers! ty for posting

Felicity Heaton said...

Thanks for having me at the blog! It was wonderful doing an interview with you.

Anonymous said...

Looks like more books to add to my TBR.

Glad to get to know you!!

Valerie
in Germany

Jennifer Mathis said...

the books sounds great

thanks 4 sharing

meandi09@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I love all of Felicity's work. One of the first authors that I read in paranormal romance. Congrats on the new release!

Tamsyn said...

Great post! I really enjoyed it. Looks like it is going to be a great series! WTG!

Anonymous said...

Winner of goodie bag is Linda H. Congrats!

Dawn