Tuesday, November 9, 2010

CITY OF GHOSTS by Stacia Kane

Downside Ghosts book 3
Publisher: Del Rey
Date published: July 2010
ISBN: 978-0345515599
Urban paranormal romance
Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained from publisher


Chess has been asked by The Church to work on a special assignment with the Black Squad agency. Before she can be told the details, she has to agree to a Binding Spell. As this will mean a large advance will be deposited into her account, she accepts. She goes through the ceremony and now, she cannot tell anyone about what she is working on otherwise she will be in a lot of pain and probably death would be involved too. But Bump, her drug dealer finds out about what she is up to and insists that Terrible goes along with her. Bump is a kind of mafia boss of the area and Terrible his strongman. There are body pieces showing up, underground tunnels filled with strange, meat-eating children. The Churches spells are back-firing on them and Chess has to deal with some seriously bad magic. The only man she can trust is Terrible, but he’s decided that as she lied to him once, she is no longer trustworthy.

So, I am coming in on the third book in this series, and to be honest, I don’t know if I want to read the first two.

Oh, the story was pretty exciting. Lots of adventure, action, blood and guts and some really nasty magic kept me turning the pages. Chess and her Black Squad partner were running into some nasty situations and barely made it out with their lives. The world-building is cleverly done and the characters are full of flaws and somewhat realistic. I say, somewhat because Chess bothered me. I don’t know if it was because the words church and drugs were together or not. Chess is a drug addict and hides her addiction from her bosses. Terrible is basically her dealer and they have a relationship. Between getting beaten, bashed, cut, burned, chased and almost raped, Chess is battling to get drugs into her body to keep her going. I felt this was all a little unrealistic. I kept thinking that if that were me…I think I would crawl into a corner and die. Still, although it wasn’t easy for me personally to get through this book, I know that there will be those out there who will devour it.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: