Monday, March 14, 2011

DEADTOWN by Nancy Holzner

A Deadtown Novel, Book 1
Publisher: ACE Fantasy
Date published: December 29th, 2009
ISBN: 978-0-441-01813-0
Urban Fantasy
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by self-purchase


Shapeshifter Vicky Vaughn is Boston’s only demon slayer and she is about to find out that the one demon she thought vanished when she was a kid is back with a vengeance. Now she has to stop this demon, figure out her relationship with a workaholic werewolf lawyer, Alexander Kane and try to get her zombie apprentice from thinking demon slaying is a fun, safe job. It’s enough to make a girl want to pick a new profession or hide under the bed forever. Luckily, Vicky has enough strength to take on the Hellion Demon…or so she hopes anyways.

DEADTOWN introduces the reader to a world of PA’s or Paranormals and Norm’s or normal humans living in Boston’s quarantined area called Deadtown. I absolutely was riveted with this first book in a series filled with vampires, werewolves, zombies and other paranormals living among the human population. Ms. Holzner creates such a wonderful world full of these amazing characters; I was hard pressed to go to Boston myself to see if there really was a Deadtown like in the story. The vividness of the setting captured my attention and the way the characters were so life-like had me flipping the pages just to see what would happen next. Ms. Holzner is a new to me author and one I am really enjoying. This was a fast paced, action packed story that had me in its grip from the first page.

Meet Victory “Vicky” Vaughn, a professional demon slayer and a busy one as well. Makes dating her sometime boyfriend, Alexander Kane (and a werewolf) really hard most of the time. Now the demon that killed her father is back and it’s up to Vicky to stop it for if she fails, life in Deadtown is about to change for the worse. Vicky is one kick butt heroine. I know I wouldn’t want to meet her on any darkened alley or dreamscape. She was fun, independent and feisty-just the way I love my heroines. The mix of human and paranormal characters were written in such a way it made it a fresh take on some well-known creatures such as zombies, vampires and werewolves. The writing was tight and the secondary characters were quite intriguing. I am hoping they continue to pop up in future books.

DEADTOWN is a breath of fresh air on the urban fantasy front and one that had me grinning one minute then the next on the edge of my seat from the twists the story took. I am definitely now a fan of Ms. Holzner’s Deadtown series and am eager to read the next book. If you are looking for fast paced story that has the right mix of magic, mystery, romance and adventure, then grab DEADTOWN. You don’t want to miss this new voice in urban fantasy.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: