Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FROSTFIRE by Lynn Viehl

Publisher: Signet
Date published: January 2011
ISBN: 978-0451413024
Paranormal romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


The Kyndred are normal people who have been changed by vampire DNA and are unaware of this. Here, we meet Lilah who can control the minds of animals. She has been living undercover until she rescues some children from a wild bear and GenHance becomes aware of her. GenHance is on the lookout for people like Lilah as they are collecting DNA. So, Lilah is drugged and kidnapped and awakes in the back of a refrigerated truck, cuffed to a man who seems more dead than alive. Walker is ready to die, but the warm woman lying next to him brings him back from what seems like certain death. Now he wants to protect her from whomever it is who has captured them. They find a town where strange things are happening and the folks there are not what they seem. Lilah is also being hunted by someone she least expects.

When I got this book in my hands, my mouth watered and I thought I would be in for a wonderfully, exciting read. Well, it was certainly exciting with lots happening, but for some strange reason, I had a hard time really diving into this story. I’m not sure why. I think it was difficult for me to warm up to Walker. Or maybe it was because sometimes the plot seemed elusive. It could also be because I haven’t read any other books about the Kyndred and was not familiar with the myriad of characters that showed up. There were various sub-plots and a little romance happening on the side. The ending was really good and I certainly didn’t see that coming!

All in all, FROSTFIRE was an interesting read and I liked how this author created her world and her characters, but I think I will need to read the previous books in the series to get a better handle on the story.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: