Monday, July 25, 2011

DANGEROUS IN DIAMONDS by Madeline Hunter

Final Book in Rarest Blooms Quartet
Publisher: Berkley Jove
Date published: April 26th, 2011
ISBN: 978-0-515-14934-0
Historical Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained ARC from Publisher


The Duke of Castleford is wealthy, a rake and has no incentive to curb his ways at all. When he gets a small behest, he finds that the small property houses a flower shop, one run by a woman so mysterious, Castleford is intrigued the moment he spies her. Daphne Joyes hates men like Castleford and is determined to keep him as far away as she can from her house, business and ultimately, herself. But sparks fly between these two whenever they cross paths and Daphne finds out that she has something in common with Castleford-a deep hatred toward the Duke of Becksbridge. Can two different people find a way work together while trying to not fall in love?

I really, really, really wanted to like this final book in Ms. Hunter’s Rarest Blooms Quartet. I really did but with this final book, I found myself going ‘HUH?” when I started reading it. I loved the character Castleford in the first three books. He stole my heart and I was absolutely giddy over seeing his story would round out the series. He was vivid and stole the show in each of the first three books (RAVISHING IN RED, SINFUL IN SATIN and PROVOCATIVE IN PEARLS). Until I opened DANGEROUS IN DIAMONDS and wanted to know what happened to that charming, vivid character I grew to love in those books. He is so uninspiring, I wanted to know who stole that wonderful man and put this pod person in its place. Ms. Hunter had a marvelous character here that could have, when written well, delivered a high octane ride for the readers. What we got was an uninspired hero who had me scratching my head in disbelief. Then add in Daphne, the heroine, who was the same as she has been in the previous books. Straightforward, honest, complex and would have fit perfectly with the vivid Castleford that I adored. They do have some sparks but again it isn’t an inferno but one that slowly simmered throughout the book. I was thrilled to see previous characters from the first three books pop in and help Castleford & Daphne. That was one of the bright spots in this final book.

Despite everything above, the story is solid and the writing tight. Madeline Hunter is one of the best writers for historical romance and I felt, in my opinion; she rushed through this last book for some reason. Overall, DANGEROUS IN DIAMONDS was an ok story that may appeal to some readers who may not have enjoyed Castleford in the previous books or if they want to see what happens when he finally finds the woman of his dreams.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

1 comment:

Diamond Engagement Ring said...

The title is very attractive. Every beauty has a danger in it, as a rose with thorns and girl with beauty, then also we dare to get them.