Monday, September 19, 2011

THE EXILE: AN OUTLANDER GRAPHIC NOVEL by Diana Gabaldon

Publisher: Del Rey Books
Date published: September 21st, 2010
ISBN: 978-0-345-50538-5
Graphic Novel/Historical Time Travel
Hardcover
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by Publisher


OUTLANDER fans get an eye popping look into the world Diana Gabaldon created in her first ever graphic novel. Jamie Fraser and Claire Randall captured our hearts in the first OUTLANDER story and THE EXILE showcases the vividness of Jamie’s story. Get ready for the retelling of the story that started it all in THE EXILE.

I have got to admit, I absolutely adore the Outlander series by author Diana Gabaldon. The sheer scope of her series stories leaves me breathless and when I found out they made a graphic novel of OUTLANDER, at first I was a little unsure about how an artist would convey the beloved characters of Jamie, Claire and the entire cast of this wonderful series. Then I got the hardcover book and when I opened it, it was like a vivid portrait came alive in my hands.

THE EXILE is the story of OUTLANDER in Jamie’s point of view. The pictures are quite vivid, breathtaking and completely captured the characters even as a few issues had me scratching my head a bit. Jamie’s eye color was a little off in THE EXILE and the artist did try his best to convey the emotions on the characters faces that at times was a little weird to see. That being said, the one thing that irritated me was the constant point of view shifts from Jamie to Murtagh’s and back again. I adore the character Jamie & his wife, Claire with a passion so to see them in color was a treat. The side story of Kenneth was a distraction and I was irritated by it for a bit.

Overall, THE EXILE was a fun look into the beloved Outlander series in pure vivid color. The one thing with graphic novels that is a bit different is the descriptive scenes in the original story are missing here due to the constraints of being a graphic novel. But to that affect, the illustrations by artist Hoang Nguyen perfectly showcase Scotland and ease the sting of that loss. Diana Gabaldon’s beloved Outlander series delivers a new version of OUTLANDER that appealed to me and I cannot wait to see if the next chapter is coming in the future. Ms. Gabaldon delivers a new way to see OUTLANDER, Jamie, Claire and all their friends and family. I hope you take a chance with THE EXILE and keep an open mind when you read it. It is definitely visually stimulating.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: