Monday, December 19, 2011

VISCOUNT BRECKENRIDGE TO THE RESCUE by Stephanie Laurens

Cynster Sisters Trilogy, Book 1
Publisher: Avon Books
Date published: August 30th, 2011
ISBN: 9780062068606
Historical Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by Publisher


Heather Cynster is about to do the impossible-step out of her safe world and try her hand in wrangling her very own hero; One that will sweep her off her feet and steal her heart. What she gets instead is riled by the handsome yet aggravating Viscount Breckenridge and kidnapped. Not the way she wanted to start her hunt for her perfect man. With danger looming, Heather will have to put aside her feelings for Viscount Breckenridge and let herself see the man below the façade.

I loved the early Cynster books and was thrilled to see Ms. Laurens getting back to the family of rakes and feisty women who kept them in line. Picking this latest Cynster novel up, I really wanted to enjoy it. Really, I did. But man, it was at times, quite predictable that I wondered if the author had a chart where she just put in names, like mad libs. The writing is good, the storyline is at times a bit predictable and the main characters are intriguing but I had one pet peeve throughout the entire book. Reading “blah, blah But they are a Cynster.” Or some such variation over and over made me want to finally yell “ENOUGH ALREADY”. That got old really quick and had me gnashing my teeth each time it was mentioned…which was a lot.

The mysterious Laird was so intriguing that I really wanted to know more about him and why he hated the Cynster Sisters. The first part of the book was good but by mid-way, I wanted to toss the book down and pray that it would end. The main characters are so stubborn; I had a hard time enjoying them without wanting to smack some sense into both of them. Heather and Beckenridge drove me to put the book down countless times with a mutter of me killing them. I felt the author could have fleshed out the characters a bit more, give Heather some more depth instead of being the woman who wants to be saved…a lot...by a hero. What kills a story for me are characters that rely on others to do the work by rescuing them, saying the “I Love You” first to whatever else you can think of. When a story like that happens to me, I find myself putting the book down more times than I count and reading other books. Ms. Laurens is a phenomenal writer but one that I felt just went through the ropes in VISCOUNT BRECKENRIDGE TO THE RESCUE.

Will I read the next book? Maybe, but I will get it from the library and not waste my money on it. I am really hoping the author gets back to complex characters, fast moving yet well written storylines with plot twists that leave you breathless and a romance that will have you flipping the pages to see what happens next for the characters. If you enjoy an insipid heroine, a cocky hero and a predictable plot, then you might enjoy VISCOUNT BRECKENRIDGE TO THE RESCUE.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: