Monday, April 2, 2012

THE HOUR OF DUST AND ASHES by Kelly Gay

A Charlie Madigan Novel, Book 3
Publisher: Pocket Books
Date published: August 30th, 2011
ISBN 9781451625479
Urban Fantasy
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn
Obtained by Self-Purchase


For Detective Charlie Madigan, saving the world just took a back seat when she finds out that Ash addicts are committing suicide. She is desperate to keep her Ash addicted sister from being one of the casualties. Now time is racing as Charlie, her Siren partner, Hank and friends try to figure out how to stop it all from happening. But when they leave Atlanta and go to Charboydon, only one of them will find that their past has a way of coming to slap you up in the face. Can Charlie find a way to save Bryn, get back to Atlanta and deal with an ancient race of Slyphs before time runs out…for her and everyone she loves as well?

I have got to admit; I never anticipated finding a series where I was so eager to see what happens next for a set of characters that I raced to the internet to find out about the next book. Ms. Gay delivers a high octane ride from start to finish with her latest addition in the Charlie Madigan series. The writing is tight, story moves quickly and there is enough plot twists that I almost fell off my chair trying to keep myself from yelling “OH MY GOD!!” a half a dozen times. What really keeps me invested in this series is how the characters grow with each book, showing layers of them as they deal with different issues-be it from their past or the latest case they are working. The world building here is actually quite intriguing. I loved the premise when I picked up the first book, THE BETTER PART OF DARKNESS, and it just got better with book two and three. Ms. Gay delivers a spine tingling story that had me flipping pages in eager abandon as I raced alongside Charlie while she tried to save the people she swore to protect.

Meet Charlie Madigan. She is now a federal officer and is trying to keep Atlanta safe from otherworld creatures/people. It’s been a week after the Sons of Dawn cult was taken down yet all is not well there. The Ash addicts are turning up dead, committing suicide and Charlie is determined her sister won’t be the one who is next. The dynamics between Charlie, Rex, Hank and other characters is quite enjoyable. All the main characters have their time in the sun yet it doesn’t take away from Charlie’s storyline at all. I love how this author is able to give my favorite characters screen time even as they fight for their lives. They are so intriguing, even the bad guys, you can’t but help but be intrigued by them all.

THE HOUR OF DUST AND ASHES is by far the best book in the series so far but the ending gave me shivers and yes a few tears as events played out that I sure wasn’t anticipating. It literally had my jaw dropping in shock and I wonder what this author has in store in the next installment of Charlie’s adventures. If you are looking for a heroine who really enjoys kicking ass then you will really enjoy this series. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a series filled with ancient beings, djinns and more to explore. I do have to say that it is better to read the books in order so you get the full nature of the Charlie Madigan experience. Now I am eager for more Charlie stories and hope we don’t have to wait long for the next installment.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: