Sunday, July 22, 2012

Welcome Hunter Raines Today

Please give a warm welcome to Hunter Raines who sat down  with me the other day and answered my never ending list of questions. 


Hunter will be giving away an e-copy of Paradise Found to one lucky commenter. Please leave a comment and your email address in order to be entered. Contest runs from July 22-24th. Winner will be announced on July 25th here in the comment section of the Hunter's post.


Now onto the interview.....



Can you please share with us a little about yourself?

Sure! I’m a 32-year old full time writer of erotic romance. I’ve been married to my wonderful husband for nearly 14 years (you do the math!). We don’t have children, but we’ve got an absolutely adorable little cat named Texas, who joined our family – you guessed it! – when we lived in Texas. We’ve since moved back to Canada, where we’re both from. I’ve been published since 2003, but I only made the switch to writing full time in 2011. It’s been quite a change, and I’m still adjusting… I have a feeling I’ll still be “adjusting” a decade from now!

What is your most interesting writing quirk? 

I have a gorgeous office, all decked out with a giant computer, bookshelves filled with research material, and my book covers on the walls. And yet I write with my laptop on my lap, in a tiny room upstairs, stretched out on a comfy leather lounger.

Can you please tell us about your latest book(s)? 

Of course! SIGHT UNSEEN is a male/male paranormal erotic romance. It’s the story of Daniel Van Doren, who used to be a popular author of young adult novels until a car accident killed his lover and took his sight. If that wasn’t bad enough, the accident left him with the unusual ability to see ghosts. He’s reluctantly made peace with this newfound “talent”, and has even started working with the local police department on unsolved crimes so the ghosts who haunt him can move on. When Logan Riley approaches him with an offer to write his biography for a nice sum of money, Danny’s concerned – as well he should be. Logan plans to discredit him and show the world he’s nothing but a fraud. But Logan’s plans go awry when he finds himself drawn to Danny’s quiet sincerity, and begins to doubt whether he really knows what’s going on. To make matters worse, when a spirit learns to harness the energy between worlds and comes after Danny, Logan may be the one to blame…

How did you come with the idea for this story?

I really love ghost stories. Creepy ones, romantic ones, the ones that send a tingle down your back… I love them all. I wanted to put a different spin on a ghost story, and I’ve always had tremendous respect for the blind. The incredible things they can do even without the use of their sight has always amazed me. I wanted to research blindness, and create a sympathetic, realistic character. When I combined the two ideas, I had my story.

Who is the one author that you would love to meet someday and why? 

I would love to meet Dean Koontz. I attended a session when he spoke at the Romantic Times Conference in Los Angeles in 2011, and he was just as funny, clever, and insightful as I’d hoped. I’m a big fan of his books, and I’d love to be able to pick his brain over dinner someday. I bet he’d have a wealth of advice to offer!

What is the best piece of advice you would give to someone that wants to get into writing? 

Never, ever give up. Perseverance is the most important trait you can have in this business. Talent is overrated. Persistence, drive, and ambition make all the difference between an aspiring author and a published one. There will be plenty of people who will want to discourage you, plenty of folks who’ll tell you that you can’t do this. They’re wrong. Use their words as fuel and learn your craft. Analyze the books you read – those you love, and those that don’t hit the mark with you, and figure out why you feel that way about each one. Take online workshops. Go to writer’s conferences. Keep an open mind and learn from criticism offered by editors, agents, and other authors. Never stop learning, trying new things, and growing as a writer. And never, ever give up. Did I say that already? Can you stand to hear it again? Good. Never give up.

Can you share with us something off your bucket list? 

One of the items on my bucket list is to eat a croissant at a cute little coffee shop on the Champs-Élysées in Paris. I’m determined to make that happen soon.

What is in your To Read Pile that you are dying to start or upcoming release you can’t wait for?

The Winds of Winter – book 6 in The Game of Thrones series. I’m such a huge fan of the series (and the TV show). I’ll likely have to wait until 2014 to hold the book in my hands, but I’m very much looking forward to that day.

Can you share with us your current work(s) in progress? 

I’m in-between projects right now. I just finished edits on a male/male romantic suspense titled SCANDAL FEVER, which will be released by Loose Id in September, 2012.

If we asked your muse to describe you in five words, what would they say about you?

I’m pretty sure my muse would say I’m indecisive, passionate, insecure, prolific, and imaginative.

Anything else you want to add? Links?

I invite readers to find me on my website, at www.hunterraines.com, and follow me on Twitter - @hrainesauthor .

Sight Unseen by Hunter Raines
Carina Press
Paranormal M/M

Daniel Van Doren was once a renowned writer, until he was blinded in the car accident that killed his lover. Now, all he sees are ghosts in need of help. They follow him everywhere, and the only way to be rid of his ethereal visitors is to help them resolve their unfinished business here on earth so their spirits can find peace.

Ghostwriter Logan Riley is assigned to pen Daniel's biography. He plans to reveal him as a fraud, but when they meet he's struck by Danny's quiet sincerity--and a growing attraction. Which makes sticking close to Danny to find out the truth more than a little distracting.

When they are attacked by a violent poltergeist Logan begins to believe Danny's not just telling the truth, he's in grave danger. A spirit has learned how to harness the energy of the living to break through the barrier between worlds to harm Danny. And Logan may be the one to blame...



No comments: