Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Visit with Katie Lane



Hi Katie!  I’ve been totally enjoying your Deep the Heart of Texas series and totally LOVED Hunk for the Holidays.  Please say this one is going to turn to a series!  I hope so. 
 
I would love to write stories for Matthew and Patrick!

Let’s start with an easy one--how long have you been writing? 

On and off, for about fifteen years.  



What inspired you to pick up the pen (or sit down at the computer) one day and create characters that capture the imagination? 

I started writing stories when I was in fifth grade.  It was just a natural outlet for my overactive imagination.  Years later, I read Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss and I was hooked on romance and wanted to write my own happily-ever-after.  

Most people envision an author’s life as being really glamorous. What’s your take on this?

Lol!  I spend most my time in sweats and slippers.  If people think that’s glamorous, then I’m the queen of glamour. 

What is the most glamorous thing you’ve done as an author? 

I went to New York City for the RWA conference.  And everyone knows that NYC is glamorous.  As for me, not so much.  I stumbled around in awe of the crowds of people, the amazing skyscrapers, and the famous authors.

Your first book GOING COWBOY CRAZY introduces readers to Faith, Hope and Bramble, Texas.  As I was reading it I couldn’t help but think to myself that it was a wonderful cross between URBAN COWBOY and FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. Are you a fan of either?  

I love Urban Cowboy, but I haven’t watched Friday Night Lights. 

Slate reminded me in many ways of Taylor Kitsch’s character Tim Riggins in FIRDAY NIGHT LIGHTS with his easy going personality, the desire to do the right thing and wanting a home and family of his own. The Sheriff also reminded me of the Buddy Garrity character from the show. Have you heard from anyone else?

No one else has mentioned Friday Night Lights, but I can see the similarities.  Small Texas town that loves their football.


Would you like to live in a town like Bramble?

Umm, no.  I love visiting, but sometimes things can get a little crazy in Bramble.  So it's nice to come back to my peaceful, only-occasionally-hectic life.

Faith and Hope are very different from each other and from what some of the “twin research” tells us. How did you keep them separate in your mind? 

To me, they are two completely different personalities so it was easy to keep them separate.

If you could be a character in any of your books who would it be and why? 

I would be Shirlene Dalton Cates.  I just love her positive attitude and sense of humor. (And I’ve always wanted big breasts. Ha!)

Looking over the past year, what has been the best moment for you in your writing career?

Getting the call from my agent telling me that Going Cowboy Crazy sold.  It was an amazing feeling to know that my dream was about to come true.

What do you enjoy doing with your spare time, your non-writing time? 

I love to spend time with my family--my husband, two daughters, sons-in-law, and granddaughters.  I also like to read and play golf.

What prompted you to write the DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS series? 

I didn’t plan on writing it.  I just started writing a story about a twin searching for her long lost sister and it evolved into this town filled with all of these wonderful characters.   

HUNK FOR THE HOLIDAYS is pretty different in tone and character personalities. Did you need to do anything special to shift gears to that story? 

No.  The characters are the ones that shape my stories and set the tone.  So I just follow their lead.


If you could invite any famous person, dead or alive, for lunch, who would it be and what would you eat? 

Shakespeare, and we’d eat whatever he wants :o)

You’ve gotten the call, a Hollywood producer is going to bring DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS series to the big screen.  Who do you cast in the major roles? (I think you already know who I’d cast in at least two of those roles.)

I've always thought that Matthew McConaughey would make a great Slate Calhoun.  And Reese Witherspoon a good Faith or Hope. 


What are you working on now? I just finished Flirting with Texas.  Can you tell us a little about it? 

It’s Brant and Billy’s little brother’s story.  Beau is a bull rider who has a way with the ladies.  I teamed him up with Hope’s little sister, Jenna Jay, who is a bit of a fireball.  As soon as I started writing, the sparks flew between these two.  Such fun!

Is there anything you’d like to add? 

Thank you so much for having me.



Thank you for taking some time with us today.


No comments: