Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Valentine With Sophie Jordan!



Hi Sophie!  You have several long time fans here at Love Romances and more.  It is a thrill to have you here and especially on Valentine’s Day!

Let’s start with an easy one--how long have you been writing?


Hi! I’m thrilled to be here. I’ve been writing on and off since middle school, but in 2003 I officially determined to be a writer and try to get published – a dream which was realized in 2006.

What inspired you to pick up the pen (or sit down at the computer) one day and create characters that capture the imagination?

I’ve always been a dreamer … that’s what led me to reading and, ultimately, writing.

Most people envision an author’s life as being really glamorous. What’s your take on this?

Oh … some days I do feel like a superstar. ;)  Like when I’m meeting with producers in Hollywood to discuss my book that they’ve optioned for film. Or flying to Moscow to meet with readers there … or other places in the USA I’ve visited on book tour. Other days, I’m just a mom and wife trying to squeeze in some writing time between laundry and packing lunches. It’s a great and strange life that I wouldn’t change for a second.


What is the most glamorous thing you’ve done as an author?

Probably meeting with producers in LA – and talking with them on the phone. But also being interviewed on television, radio/magazines. I’ve been fortunate to have several pinch-me moments in my writing career.

Your latest book, The Earl in My Bed is the latest addition to your Forgotten Princesses series and centers around a Valentine’s Day ball. Which came first, the idea of writing a Valentine’s story or knowing you wanted to write Paget and Jamie’s story?

I knew I wanted to write Jamie and Paget’s story. For me, the characters always appear first. It was just easy to manipulate a Valentine’s Ball into the story line.

Paget is known for her lemon muffins, are they perhaps a favorite of yours?  If so, you have a recipe to share?

Ha! Um, I always prefer citrus-type cakes and desserts. Lemon, orange, cranberry flavored muffins and scones. That kind of thing. I don’t actually have a recipe for lemon muffins, but I might have to find one.

When I first read Jamie I felt like he was a cross between Mr. Rochester and Heathcliff—that he was the best parts of both of them. Did anyone in particular inspire him as a character?

Thanks for saying that! I just prefer a stoic – at least at the start of the story – hero. I don’t have a specific inspiration for him, but Rochester is actually a pretty good example of the type of man Jamie is.

If you could be a character in any of your books who would it be and why?

Hm. It’s safe to say whatever book I’m currently writing features the heroine I would most want to be.

Looking over the past year, what has been the best moment for you in your writing career?

Every year brings new joys. This year I’m excited to launch a new trilogy in a new sub-genre I’ve never written – new adult.

What do you enjoy doing with your spare time, your non-writing time? 

I enjoy watching movies, traveling and spending time with my family. I love cycling.

If you could invite any famous person, dead or alive, for lunch, who would it be and what would you eat?

I would have brunch at Brennan’s – the Gouda grits! And maybe with one of my favorite actors of old – James Stewart.

You’ve gotten the call, a Hollywood producer is going to bring the FORGOTTEN PRINCESSES series to the big screen.  Who do you cast in the major roles?

Ah. Tough. In my upcoming historical, HOW TO LOSE A BRIDE IN ONE NIGHT, I’d say Anne Hathaway best fits the role of Annalise and Chris Hemsworth would play the hero, Owen.

And….they want  you to play a cameo – who will you be?

Oh, someone unassuming … maybe a maid in the background.

What are you working on now? Can you tell us a little about it?

I’m working on several projects. I’m finishing revisions for my next YA (UNINVITED), and I’m writing book #1 (FOREPLAY) in a new New Adult trilogy.

I also have another historical romance releasing this August and it’s titled: HOW TO LOSE A BRIDE IN ONE NIGHT.

Here’s the summary for that book:


He saved her life...
When Annalise Hadley is tossed over the side of her honeymoon barge, the newly-minted duchess knows she's been left for dead -- for her husband's only interest is in her vast dowry, not her muddied lineage. However, she didn't count on a savior. Especially not an honorable, sinfully intriguing earl who will tempt her to risk everything—again.
Now he will seduce her heart and soul
A man with his own demons, Owen Crawford, the reclusive Earl of McDowell, is enchanted by the mysterious, courageous woman he rescued. He will help her heal, teach her to protect herself, and then send her away—so that she’ll never see he’s far from the hero she believes him to be.
But days and nights alone prove that some secrets are meant to be discovered...some desires are too powerful to resist…and some wounds can only be healed by love.



Is there anything you’d like to add?

Thank you for taking some time with us today!

Thanks so much for having me!

No comments: