Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Checking in With Sarah Madison



How would you describe yourself using only five words?

Insightful, compassionate, smart, tough

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

My day job can be emotionally challenging at times. Sometimes when I come home at night, I need to watch something non-demanding to take my mind off work. That can be anything from What Not To Wear, to animated Disney films, to a Due South marathon. Sometimes I’m ashamed at my television viewing habits, but hey, it beats illegal substances.

Name one thing readers would be surprised to know about you.

I do a kick-ass Yoda impression. Seriously. But in order to get the voice right, I have to make a weird frog-face, so I don’t do it often. I can also do a catfight so realistic that I can’t perform it if there are any animals nearby, as it will trigger fights. I’m hilarious at parties, I tell you!

How do you get yourself in the mood to write?

I’m almost always in the mood to write! When I’m walking the dog or riding my horse, or just driving in the car, I find myself plotting stories, writing dialog, and creating scenes in my head. Sometimes I can’t wait to get home and sit down at the keyboard!

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?

I’m going to have to go with The Boys of Summer. This story holds such personal meaning for me. It started with a single image: one of the main characters as WW2 fighter pilot, leaning against a Spitfire. It was only supposed to be a small scene in a dream sequence, but I wanted to get the details right, so I began researching the Battle of Britain. The more I researched, the more appalled I was at my lack of knowledge about this period in time. For four months, these young pilots, outnumbered and outgunned, defended England against the Germans in a battle for air supremacy—meant to weaken Britain before an attempt to invade. I spent over a month reading about the war and watching documentaries and films. When I was done, the ‘dream sequence’ was at least a third of my story, and I knew I was onto something special.

No comments: