Monday, August 5, 2013

GAMING FOR KEEPS by Selete deLancey

Entangled Publishing
June 2013
978-1-62266-141-1
Contemporary Romance
E-book ARC
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher


Pen Holloway is done with men and all their drama. She feels safer around the guys she games with. So when she is invited by a fellow gamer to THE convention of the year, Pen panics. Is he another loser who just wants something from Pen or will she finally find that forever kind of guy?

Cal Burrows just wanted to meet his online girl from the multi-player game, Heroes of Fallen Gods, and enjoy the premier convention, ConDamned, they are invited to. But with Cal’s secret life as a spy coming closer to the surface the more he is with Pen, Cal finds himself torn-continue with his mission and lose Pen or tell Pen everything and pray she stays around.

Wow, I really enjoyed this one a lot. The action is jam packed within the pages of GAMING FOR KEEPS and the author delivers a few twists that left me going ‘Oh my god!’ as I hurriedly flipped the pages to see what would happen next. The story is fast paced, with a ton of action as well as a subtle weaving of Cal and Pen’s romance that plays along the pages lightly even as I rooted for these two to get their own version of happily ever after. This is an author who is quite new to me so I was unsure on how I would like this gaming type of novella and I for one, am now a fan of Seleste deLaney. She completely captivated me from the first page and the way these two struck sparks away from the game was magical even if Cal felt torn between his dream job and mission & walking away from the girl of his dreams or telling Pen the truth and hoping she sticks around. The characters are well written, multi-dimensional and captivating. I would have loved to meet them for a game night in real life sometime.

GAMING FOR KEEPS delivers a fun look into the world of multi-player gamers and those wacky conventions that seem to be loads of fun or so I assume when I read or look at the still pictures from them. The author creates a wonderful world where her characters live, breathe and enjoy online role playing gaming as well as entertains the reader with characters that capture your heart without you knowing it. By end of chapter one I was rooting for Cal to win his girl, Pen and for them to ride off into the sunset. If you are looking for a book to keep you on the edge of your seat and take no prisoner stories, then GAMING FOR KEEPS should definitely be on that list. I can’t wait to see what else this author has up her sleeve in the future for her readers.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement

 


No comments: