Tuesday, August 6, 2013

THE UGLY DUCHESS by Eloisa James

Avon Books

August 28th, 2012
978-0-06-202173-1
Historical Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher



Theodora Saxby never anticipated being the center of gorgeous James Ryburn, heir to the Duchy of Ashbrook, and when he proposes, she is shocked and utterly charmed by his romantic proposal. Convinced that James has fallen madly in love with her, she tosses caution to the win and dreams of a happily ever after with James. But her marriage to James reaps more than she imagines and when James leaves her, Theo is forced to become the woman she is meant to be. Seven years later, James comes back and finds Theo not just like he remembered for this strong willed woman just might be the one who steals James’ heart.

I normally enjoy Eloisa James’ novels, filled with interesting characters and a storyline that twists and turns while leaving you shocked by a few twists you don’t see coming. THE UGLY DUCHESS just was not my cup of tea. One had to be the hero himself. James is forced to marry Theo so his father can get his hands on the remaining dowry Theo has and while James lies and deceit over Theo I found myself utterly appalled by his behavior and hoping Theo would slap him silly. What happens when Theo finds her rose colored dreams shattered by the revelation of James’ lies…well let’s just say I wanted to smack them both. The author does not give James any redeeming characteristics at all in my opinion. For me to even be enchanted by James, he would need a serious personality adjustment because when he returns after being away, gallivanting around the world and taking mistresses left and right, well, needless to say I had to put the book down and go do something else otherwise I was going to scream. This author has made James to be one awful hero. He lies, abandons his bride and when he returns seems to feel no remorse for all he did and feels entitled to Theo’s new life and to her.

THE UGLY DUCHESS was one book that left me wondering where my favorite historical romance author has gone and if a mischievous sprite took over for this book. Theo isn’t much better when James decides to come back for whatever reason he has in his head. She forgave James’ for everything within a day and some naked sheet dancing that had me curling my lip in disgust as I tossed the book down. That right there cemented my opinion that the author I loved took a long vacation and some other writer was in her place. The characters I loved by this author were gone and the story itself just fell flat when I normally cheer on strong heroines and heroes. But this one well let me say I hope to never come across a book like this again. It was just not that good in my opinion from past Eloisa James novels that I enjoyed and devoured.

If you enjoy a story full of characters that come across as one dimensional and not that appealing, then you might enjoy THE UGLY DUCHESS. I am just hoping the author I had grown to love come s back and returns to giving readers wonderful stories filled with intriguing characters.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement

 


No comments: