Sunday, October 27, 2013

SHADOWFLAME by Dianne Sylvan

A Novel of the Shadow World, Book Two
ACE
July 26th, 2011
978-0-441-02065-2
Urban Fantasy
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher

 

2.5 Hearts


 

Miranda Grey has quickly come to terms with becoming a vampire and marrying the Prime of the South, David Solo. Three months have passed and she is quickly learning her way around and how to navigate the often times treacherous world of politics. What she doesn’t realize is that David has secrets and one secret is about to destroy her world around her if she is not careful. What happens when a struggling relationship finds itself under attack, allies and friends dying and more secrets you can shake a stick at….cracks appear and Miranda has to figure out- leave David or fight till the very last breath-for her, for David and for their relationship.


First off, I enjoyed book one, Queen of Shadows, immensely. But for the life of me, I could not get into SHADOWFLAME for a variety of reasons. The first being the way David is portrayed. He is like a person who can’t make up his mind. One minute all determined, next secretive and angry. Then add in cheating by him and you lose me completely. With so many sub-plots running around, I never know who was doing what and there was no main storyline to follow or if there was, so little of it, it felt overshadowed by whatever the secondary characters were doing instead. Basically it was like a free for all and the author just threw things in the story willy-nilly.


Add feeling that Miranda was just a cliff note as the story progressed, I was shaking my head going, ‘poor, poor child, you need a dose of wake up and smell the coffee’ after taking David back after his cheating and the announcement he gives her just floors me completely. I am sorry but to tell your new partner/pair you will love another just makes me want to toss the book and yell, ‘grow a spine, Miranda’. I have a feeling the author was tossing as much as she could in here and letting things lay where they fell. The first book had David and Miranda strong characters and in this follow-up book, both were a mess, literally and figuratively. Neither appealed to me and frankly, I was at a loss at how they came to this in SHADOWFLAME.


SHADOWFLAME is one of those books you either love it or hate it. I, for one, just couldn’t handle the many sub-plots, secrets that made no sense or characters that did a 360 personality wise. The pace of the book was too fast. It felt like the story had bullet points on an outline to check off. Okay check off the following: Cheating. Danger. Love. Forgiveness. Near death experiences. I mean, really, I love a fast pace book but with a storyline that matched it perfectly. SHADOWFLAME was not that kind of book in my opinion. There was no build up to the ending, I struggled trying to sort out everything being thrown at me, characters reactions to some scenes left a bad taste in my mouth and scratching my head in confusion with all the telling and no showing aspect of the story. For whatever reason, Ms. Sylvan tries to toss a lot of back-story in SHADOWFLAME and if done right, works like a charm but it just falls flat here. I am hoping this author does better on future books in the series.


 

This is an objective review and not an endorsement

 

No comments: