Saturday, November 16, 2013

A STORY IN THE DARK WITH A GRAVEYARD TREE by Katalinya Palokova



Publisher: Torquere Press
Date published: 10/9/13
ISBN: NA
Paranormal
E-book
Reviewed by Helen
Weblink: http://www.torquerebooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=4033
Obtained via publisher

Rating: 2.5


The dryad from the oak tree in the graveyard walks through the town on Halloween night. When he returns to the graveyard he meets a man sitting by a grave and they end up spending the rest of the night together.

This book attracted me because it was something a little different. The dryad’s story is an interesting one and a neat twist. Even the graveyard is not quite as one would expect, although there are, of course since it’s Halloween, ghosts.

But I just couldn’t get into it. My problem wasn’t the plot but the fact the book is written in present tense but still with past tense and imperfect mixed in among it. Usually when something is in present tense that’s how it stays, at least for several paragraphs, but in this book the reader might find all the tenses in the one sentence, even though it’s still predominantly present tense. It might be just me, but I couldn’t concentrate on the story even though I liked the characters.

Therefore in sum, to me it’s a slightly different plot, and interesting characters, but not compelling enough to overcome the different writing style. Since this is the only book I found on Google by this author, I wondered if other readers also found her writing style to be a little pretentious.


This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

 

No comments: