Tuesday, January 14, 2014

BITTER SPIRITS by Jenn Bennett




A Roaring Twenties Novel, Book One
Berkley
January 7th, 2014
978-0-425-26957-2
Historical, Paranormal, Mystery
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher
3.5 Hearts


 
Aida Palmer is a spirit medium and her show entertains the masses. But there is more to Aida than meets the eyes and Winter Magnusson is about to find out.
Winter is a bootlegger who is not quite thrilled with ghosts and now he needs Aida’s help in dealing with a malevolent hex. He just never anticipated Aida to warm those hidden areas of his heart and soul. Now as they both race against the clock to find who put the hex on Winter, both find that in order to truly move on, they need to banish their own ghosts as well.

I have to admit, I am not a big historical paranormal person but BITTER SPIRITS is pure fun. This is a new to me author so I was really thrilled at her world building. There was no information dumping and I got sucked into this fantastic world she created. The characters are well written, kept my interest and the storyline had me flipping the pages just to see what would happen next for Aida and Winter.

Meet Aida Palmer. She has a show as a spirit medium but she is more than meets the eye, especially with an ability to summon and expel the dead.I really loved Aida. She was a complex character that grew on me as the story progressed. He interactions with Winter left me eager for more. The sparks fly fast and furious as Aida tries to help Winter get rid of the hex placed over him. These two characters were perfect for one another. Winter is more comfortable with guns instead of ghosts but this alpha male is not afraid to get some help from Aida who he finds quite charming if a bit eccentric. The characters are multi-dimensional and kept my full attention through the entire story.

BITTER SPIRITS was a very engrossing story that had me completely captivated from start to finish. If you enjoy a bit of paranormal to your historical with a dash of mystery tossed in then you just might enjoy this introduction to the Roaring Twenties series from Ms. Bennett. Now I am eager to see what else this author has in her backlist as I await book two in the series.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement



No comments: