Sunday, December 14, 2014

SPORKED IN TIME by Jaid Black and Nicholas Grant

 

Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
Date published: November 2014
ISBN: 9781419993787
Comedy, Time Travel
E-book
Reviewed by Helen
Weblink: http://www.ellorascave.com/sporked-in-time.html
Obtained via publisher
Rating: 2


Busty Russell is straight and was reared by two gay dads. Her best friend Tope McWhite is six foot five inches of rampantly gay man. Together they run an incredibly inept detective agency in WeHo. Their latest case involves unlimited money and time travel to the fourteenth century Scottish Highlands.


In the interests of full disclosure I once worked for Ellora’s Cave. I enjoyed reading Ms Black’s erotic romances. I also read and enjoy comedy, historical fiction and gay fiction (Basically I just like reading).

However this book didn’t tick any good boxes for me. I can laugh at slapstick comedy and over the top comedy (I loved the Keystone Kops when I was a kid) but this story felt forced. It was almost as if Ms. Black and Mr. Grant sat down with a list of popular Amazon key search words and determined to include them all in every chapter, hopefully more than once.

The idea of the Dicktionary is good, but there are so many in-jokes about gay men and West Hollywood it detracts from the story and confuses any reader who isn’t from that scene. And flipping back and forth to the Dicktionary pulls the reader out of the story. There were also a bunch of typos, or if they weren’t typos, I couldn’t understand their meaning.

While the plot is thin and confused, the two main characters are completely outrageous, and at times quite funny as is some of the dialogue. However, I won’t be reading any future books in this series.



This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.


No comments: