Friday, January 30, 2015

GHOST LAYER by Robin D. Owens




A Ghost Seer Novel, Book Two
Berkley Sensation
September 2nd, 2014
978-0-425-26891-9
Paranormal Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn (love2read28@gmail.com)
Obtained by Publisher
3.5 hearts


 
For ghost seer Clare Cermak, her life was upended into chaos when she was passed her aunt’s ghost seer powers and now her life that was once logical, orderly is anything but. Now she is called to lie to rest a ghost who has a taste for the ladies and leaves them love tokens in the form of his bones as well as a poem. Now the stakes are rising because someone sure doesn’t want Clare to succeed and if she nor her new lover, Zach Slade, who has his own secrets and gifts, don’t find the answers to this murdered prospector, then it’s lights out for Clare.

I loved the first book in the series, Ghost Seer, and was excited to see what Clare and Zach get themselves into with book two. This time Clare has to figure out who killed a murdered prospector while dodging ‘accidents’ and other not so fun stuff. GHOST LAYER is a good read, just not a great one in my opinion. With book two I expected Clare to grow some as a character and at times she does amazingly well but other times I want to tell her to ‘suck it up, buttercup and stop whining’. Both she and Zach had a tendency to dwell on what they lost instead of what they gained and it was quite slow to find any sympathy for these two characters at times when they got like this. The characters do shape up towards the end of the book so I was happy to see the ‘less whining more acceptance part’ of it come into play.  The author has an amazing premise in this series and I really love the history that is woven within the story and the mystery that surrounds it. That right there cemented me as a fan of the books. The main characters, Zach and Clare, are interesting and the author does a good job in capturing their positive qualities (Zach’s protectiveness and the epitome of old west lawmen), Clare’s gypsy heritage coming out after her gift is bestowed on her and the struggle as she tries to adapt even as she wearily accepts that gift. Enzo the ghost dog who helps Clare is a wonderful character as well. Sweet, enjoyable and frisky as a puppy, this character gives the story some lighter moments that brought smile to my face.

What didn’t work for me were the whiny attitudes at times of Clare and Zach. Yes I get that their lives were upended and changed but seriously, at least try to accept it and start to move on. When this happened in GHOST LAYER I ended up putting the book down and walking away from it for a spell. It took me a bit longer to get into the story than I normally do but in the end I was heartened to see these two starts to accept that their life is now crazy different and can be in a good way, too.

GHOST LAYER is a fun if at times challenging read that I enjoyed. If you are looking for a different sort of paranormal story then you might enjoy the Ghost Seer series. I do recommend reading from the beginning as GHOST LAYER picks up two weeks after Ghost Seer ended and though it is a stand alone story, it might make a bit more sense to read from the beginning.  I am looking forward to seeing where this author goes in the next book, Ghost Killer.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement


No comments: