Saturday, April 11, 2015

Meet the Resident Authors of Danger Cove



Welcome to the first residents of Danger Cove – otherwise known as by Elizabeth Ashby and Christina A. Burke

Ladies, thank you for taking the time to talk with us at Love Romances and More Reviews about not only your new release, SECRET OF THE PAINTED LADY, but about Danger Cove!



First, let’s find out a little bit about you. 

Elizabeth, from your bio at www.gemmahalliday.com it mentions that you love books and cats.  Since cats view us as staff, when did Sherlock have you join HIS staff?

We’ve been together for ages. Sherlock is sensitive about his age so I won’t say exactly how long ;)

In SECRET OF THE PAINTED LADY we meet Smitty, the parrot.  He’s quite the character.  How did he come about?

Christina:
My maiden name is Parrott pronounced like the bird, and my grandmother has a huge collection of parrot paraphernalia. Somehow the thought just came to me when I was trying to come up with a family pet for Alex and her grandmother.

Will Smitty be meeting up with any cats and in particular, any based on some of your own feline, Sherlock’s, antics?

Elizabeth: Smitty doesn’t play well with other animals so I’m not sure that would be a good idea :)



Christina, what led you to the Danger Cove literary limits and co-writing with Elizabeth?

I’ve been writing for Gemma Halliday Publishing since I started my Queenie Baby series in 2013. When Gemma offered me the opportunity to write for the Danger Cove series I was thrilled.

Kudos to you both in your writing of SECRETS OF THE PAINTED LADY – the transition from one of you to the other in writing was seamless.  It was very much the same, entertaining, voice throughout.  How did that come about for you? 

It was surprisingly easy! Like we were one mind.

Was this the first time you worked together?
Yes, but definitely not the last.



Elizabeth, you co-author the first six books in the series.  Does anything stand about for you in working with several different authors in the same series?

It keeps you on your toes! I tend to adjust my writing style to that of my partner to keep the voice and continuity.

How did the idea of setting a series in Danger Cove come about?
For legal purposes I have to say that everything I write about Danger Cove is fictional.  But let's just say, the town has been an "inspiration" for lots of plot lines. 

There is a fun map of the town at  http://www.gemmahalliday.com/Danger_Cove/explore/be?  Despite the cute little Victorians or Painted Ladies we see there I was immediately drawn to the lighthouse.  Is it haunted?

In Danger Cove, it’s a safe bet.

What do the characters think the best part of living in Danger Cove is?

Elizabeth: There’s never a dull moment!

If you could be a character in SECRET OF THE PAINTED LADY, who would it be?
Christina: I would be Alex. She has a super cool job.

Elizabeth: Definitely Smitty!

 


Simple yes or no question – we don’t want to give away any spoilers – but did you know who the killer was when you first started writing SECRET OF THE PAINTED LADY? 

No

Have you ever flipped a house or know anyone who has done so?

Christina: Yes, and it was a disaster!

The next book in the series, MURDER AND MAI TAIS is due out in April and Sibel Hodge is your co-author.  What was the most fun about working with Sibel?

She has a very different voice from Christina, so it was really interesting seeing her take on Danger Cove. 

The blurb talks about two intriguing …. Professions … a black widow and an English underwater archaeologist.  Is there a story behind that story?

Elizabeth: In my youth, I might have done a little treasure hunting myself in the waters around Danger Cove. 

What do you enjoy doing with your spare time, your non-writing time? 

Christina: Singing with my musician husband, Jim.

Elizabeth: Gardening is my passion.


If you could invite any famous person, dead or alive, for lunch, who would it be and what would you eat?

Christina: Jane Austen. And I don’t think I’d be able to eat because I’d be too busy talking.

Elizabeth: Agatha Christie, and we would have tea together.

You’ve gotten the call, a Hollywood producer is going to bring the SECRET OF THE PAINTED LADY to the big screen.  Who do you cast in the major roles?

Christina: Hmmm . . . We based George’s character off of Remington Steele but the age difference between Pierce Brosnan and George wouldn’t work. Perhaps Jake Gyllenhaal would be a good match.

For Alex, definitely Emmy Rossum from the TV show Shameless.

Are you working on any other mysteries besides the Danger Cove series at this time?

Christina: I’m working on the 4th book of my Queenie Baby series titled "Queenie Baby: On the Town."

Elizabeth: I’m still hard at work on the Danger Cove series.

Is there anything you’d like to add?

Thanks so much for having us!

Thank you for taking some time with us today!

No comments: