Saturday, January 14, 2017

A STUDY IN SCARLET WOMEN by Sherry Thomas

Publisher:    Berkley

Published:   October 18, 2016
ISBN:        978-0425281406
Genre:       Mystery
Format:     Ebook
Obtained via:  Publisher  
Reviewed by name and email address:  Gina  Ginalrmreviews@gmail.com

TWO-1/2 HEARTS


Charlotte Holmes has never quite fit in with the demands and expectations of society.  Deciding she simply is not going to conform she engages in some rather risqué acts—all of which do not please her mother.  When three people known to the Holmes family are found dead, suspicion is quickly placed on her sister and father. With the real Sherlock Holmes out of touch, Charlotte takes on his identity to find the real killer.

When I saw Sherry Thomas’s A STUDY IN SCARLET WOMEN and its different take on Sherlock Holmes, I couldn’t resist picking it up.  I set my expectations too high.  I hadn’t read Thomas before, but had heard what a fabulous writer of romance she is. 

I found the writing in A STUDY IN SCARLET to be unemotional and not a clever Holmes style story.  I was bored from almost the beginning, but kept on plugging on in the hopes the spark I’d heard Thomas has would show.  For me it never did. 

She does write young adult and this book is a good choice for a pre-teen introduction to the Holmes milieu and mystery.  For me, the story just didn’t work.



This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

   

No comments: