Saturday, January 12, 2019

HEARTS OF THE MISSING by Carol Potenza



Publisher:      Minatour
Published:      December 4, 2018
ISBN:      978-1496711663
Genre:     Mystery, Thriller
Format:     Print from Library   
Reviewed by name and email address:  Gina  myreviewbooks@aol.com

FOUR HEARTS



Pueblo Police Sergeant Nicky Matthews is on her captain’s list and not the good one.  He’s out to get her no matter what it takes.  He gives her the crappiest shifts and dirtiest jobs.  Nicky doesn’t let his attitude and treatment stand in the way of her doing her job.  At the job for five years she’s made some good friends, Savannah and Ryan, who work with her.  While investigating a crime scene one night Nicky spies an old woman…but the woman is in the window glass, not merely a reflection of someone.  As she goes to check it out, a white rabbit hops by.  In the Fire-Sky clan, a white rabbit is the symbol for death.  This one incident leads Nicky down a road to something deeper and more disturbing than anything she could have imagined.

My library sends out monthly “new reads” in various genres and Carol Potenza’s debut, HEARTS OF THE MISSING was on a recent list.  I’m a fan of Tony Hillerman, Margaret Coel and James Doss so I thought I’d give her a try.  Boy am I glad I did!

While I figured out early on what was the core mystery—what was driving the killer, Potenza adds some twists and turns I did not see coming.  While at times I had to go back and read parts to make sense of the flow, the writing was clear and kept you involved in the story.  I had a hard time putting the book down once I started it and that became even more pronounced when I got to the last 40 or so pages—at that point it was hard not to skip ahead to find out what happened.  (I didn’t.)

Potenza’s characters are fully formed and their individuality comes through.  There were a few times I wanted to sock Frank Martin a good one but ultimately kinda fell in love with the character.  Nicky is now one of my most favorite female detective/sleuths.  She’s intelligent and determined but has a very human side.  If she were real I’d truly want to know her and have her as my friend.

I loved the historical aspects to the Fire-Sky culture and the rituals and beliefs as described by Potenza.  In looking at the usual book sites, i.e., Fantastic Fiction, FictFact and Goodreads, so far this is a stand alone read.  Nicky, Savannah, Ryan and Frank are really great characters so hopefully this is the start of a new series.


This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=regatayl-20&language=en_US&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=1250178282&asins=1250178282&linkId=58586fb00025b5690eaa083ed8d8782b&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true"></iframe>
 

No comments: