Sunday, July 7, 2019

FAKE LKE ME by Barbara Bourland



Grand Central
June 18, 2019
978-1538759516
Women’s Fiction, Suspense
Hardback
Reviewed by Gina  (myreviewbooks@aol.com)
Obtained by Publisher
3 Hearts
 

An artist who never names herself aspires to follow in the footsteps of a well-known artist named Carey Logan.  Virtually deified by the artist community, both those that do and those that view, Carey was a one of a kind until one day she put on cement books and walked into the lake at Pine City and died.   Our narrator tells of her own journey and how very much she wants to emulate Carey.  The reader travels along as she creates her particular themes and finally achieves her dream of working at Pine City.  But Pine City is not the glorious enclave of creativity she has long thought existed.  As she layers paint and pigment into her own creations at the same time she unpeels a shocking story that is scarcely believable. 

I had high expectations of Barbara Buorland’s FAKE LIKE ME.  The blurb sounded like I was going to be treated to a thrilling psychological mystery.  One I could sink my teeth into and would keep me awake late into the night.  The first 2/3 of the book read more like a memoir of a struggling artist.  I never connected to the unnamed narrator.  She came across as a self-proclaimed victim.  She was one of those people who keeps doing the same thing over and over knowing it didn’t work the first five times, but expecting it to work on the sixth. 

Her arrival at Pine City drew me in, but when she seemed to go back down the “poor me” role I lost what little connection to her that was forming.  By time the solution to the mystery is revealed I was ready to be done.  I didn’t understand most of the art world references – some back story or explanations of what they meant from the characters would have done a lot to improve the story for me.  Readers who are art savvy will enjoy those aspects.  My high school boyfriend was (and still is) an artist and I can see him being completely absorbed by the story. 

This is an objective review and not an endorsement

<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=regatayl-20&language=en_US&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=1538759519&asins=1538759519&linkId=a7ecabe02610c11ef8714efd72a748a3&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true"></iframe>
 

No comments: