Friday, November 28, 2008

Welcome to Cynthia Eden's guest blog




Welcome Ms. Eden to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.

Thank you very much for inviting me over! Glad to be here!

Did you always want to become a writer?

Well, I knew I wanted to write pretty much as soon as I learned to read. I’ve always loved books—and wanting to write my own book has been an old dream for me.

What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

Most interesting? Getting to create the characters. Since I write paranormals, I have the best time with my characters. I love creating my demons and vampires and shifters—and then turning them loose on the world. There’s no limit to the imagination when you write paranormals. Anything literally goes. And it is so much fun!

Now, the least interesting fact...writing is a very solitary life. Lots of time just by yourself, with the laptop. Long, quiet hours.

How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

I celebrated my first release with chocolate and wine—the way I celebrate them all! The first time I saw one of my books in a store, my jaw dropped. I started snapping pictures like a crazy woman. Seriously, the clerks at the store looked at me like I was crazy. All the while, I was saying, “That’s mine!” They gave me a look that said, “Um, yeah, when you buy it, weirdo.”

I guess having my chocolate is my book release ritual. Honestly, I am so nervous whenever a new book comes out. I go to the stores, try not to scare the clerks, and I snap my pictures. (Yep, I still do that.)

How did your family react to fact that you also write romance novels? Have your family read your books?

My family is amazingly supportive. My husband has read my books, so has my mom and my sister. My mom is great at PR—she takes bookmarks up to her beauty salon so all her friends can purchase my books when they hit the shelves. Gotta love a family that supports your dream!

Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

I’m definitely an avid reader. If I go too long without reading a romance, I feel like I start to go through withdrawal. My favorite authors are Christine Feehan, Jayne Ann Krentz, Angela Knight, Lora Leigh, Linda Howard, Julie Garwood—oh, I could really just list dozens. My keeper shelves are exploding and I’m planning another trip to the bookstore very, very soon. I think all of the writers I listed have influenced my writing. Their stories are so great, their characters so real...they inspire me to be a better writer.

Your characters come to life in your books. Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

Uh, oh. This is embarrassing, but, yes, I do feel like some of the characters live with me. One of my recent books (it’s a paranormal bounty hunter book I wrote for Kensington Brava) featured a white tiger shifter hero, Jude. I really started to enjoy Jude. So much so...I would insert the man into conversations. Ex. “Well, Jude would never say that...” and “If Jude were here, he’d think that was hilarious...” I was having such a great time writing his character that I kept thinking about what he would do in real-life situations. Yeah—that stopped when my husband looked at me one day and said, “You know he’s not real, right?”

Right.

I don’t generally have living role models for my characters, but I do find myself borrowing character traits from folks. Mixing and matching until I get the hero or heroine that I want.

Where do you get the inspirations for your books?

Everywhere. The ideas come to me all the time—and often from completely out of the blue. I have an Idea File that I use. When an idea comes to me, I type it in the file and save it for later. This is my fix to prevent writer’s block. So far, it’s working.


Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?

Yes, I think love scenes can often be the most challenging part of the book. The writer has to delicately balance the sensuality with the characters’ emotions. A tricky balance!

What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

I don’t know if I have a favorite. When I’m writing, that book is the favorite. I love the characters. Love the plot. It gets that favored status in my mind. But, then I start another book, and it becomes the favorite...and the cycle continues.

Since MIDNIGHT SINS is my current release, those characters are uppermost in my mind, so I’ll say the hero, Todd Brooks, and the heroine, Cara Maloan, are my favorites. I liked Todd because he is such a completely normal guy. No super powers, just a cop. He’s trying to do his job, but he winds up falling for his chief suspect in a murder investigation. The woman he falls for? Well, she turns out to be a succubus. And Cara—she was just fun to write. Pretty much immortal, very powerful, but the woman is weak when it comes to love.

Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

The hardest book I wrote was MIDNIGHT’S MASTER (due out 07/09 from Kensington Brava). This book is about Niol, the demon introduced in HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT. This story was a challenge because, Niol, well, he’s evil. His character just gets darker in MIDNIGHT SINS. I had to redeem him enough to make him a worthy hero for his heroine in MIDNIGHT’S MASTER, and that proved a bit tricky. Sometimes, it’s hard to redeem a guy when he doesn’t want to be redeemed.

And the easiest story? IMMORTAL DANGER (04/09, again from Kensington Brava). This is my dragon shifter story. I’d wanted to write a dragon story for years—and this was my chance. I think I smiled the entire time I wrote this book. The heroine is a tough, ex-cop turned vampire, and my hero, Adam, ah, the guy is smoking hot. Literally.


If you could change places with one character from your books, who would it be and why?

I think I would want to be Cara Maloan from MIDNIGHT SINS. For just a day, I’d like to see what it’s like to be a succubus. To be able to sneak into someone’s dreams and to control thoughts—handy, but dangerous.

If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

I’d like to go back to the summer of 1816 and visit with Mary Shelley. I’d love to know more about her ideas for Frankenstein.

Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?


No music for me. I usually write best when the house is nice and quiet.

If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?

I’d pick HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT. I’d choose Kate Beckinsale as Emily Drake, my monster doctor, and Gerard Butler as my wolf shifter hero, Colin. Such a good dream...

Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?

I’m finishing up the second book in my paranormal bounty hunter series. The heroine is a vampire hunter with a serious thirst for revenge and the hero is a vampire with a thirst for, well, her.

Big congrats to your newest release “Midnight Sins”, can you tell us something more about the book?

Thank you for the congrats! MIDNIGHT SINS is the second book in my Midnight trilogy and it picks up a few weeks after the close of HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT. Todd Brooks (Colin’s partner from HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT) faces a world unlike any he’s imagined. The blinders are off for him, and he’s about to come face to face with vampires and demons. And one demon in particular, Cara Maloan, will work her way right under his skin.


Thank you very much for taking the time to interview me! It was a pleasure!





Blurb of MIDNIGHT SINS:

Cara Maloan doesn’t look like a monster. In fact, the gorgeous blond nightclub singer possesses heavenly attributes that make Atlanta detective Todd Brooks sure there’s a higher power somewhere. But a twisted killer is leaving a trail of bodies in seedy hotel rooms across town. The male victims show no wounds–it’s as if the life was simply drained from them. And right now, mysterious Cara is Todd’s only suspect.

Cara knows it’s foolish to be so drawn to a man who thinks she’s a murderer. She also knows Detective Brooks would find the truth even harder to swallow. Cara is one of the Other, a race of powerful, paranormal creatures who live among humans. Cara’s particular abilities make men putty in her hands–all except this rugged, sexy-as-hell detective. But now someone, or something, has singled Cara out for serious payback…

As uneasy trust gives way to mind-blowing desire, Cara and Todd will go head-to-head with a killer whose mission is deeply personal, and who’s determined to serve up revenge that’s hotter than hellfire, and just as deadly…




Excerpt from MIDNIGHT SINS:
“Why do you do it?” Brooks asked, leaning toward her. He drew a ragged breath, as if inhaling her scent, then muttered, “You’re so damn beautiful, I bet it’s like fucking child’s play for you to lure those men to you.”
It always had been easy. She’d been born as a lure. Since his words were a bitter truth, Cara stayed silent. Reeling the men to her, no that had never been a problem.
None of the men had ever cared enough to stay with her.
An eternity of pleasure but a life lived alone. That was her lot in this world. The lot for all the succubi. She was just the only one not loving the deal.
“Do you get off on it?” Brooks asked, voice silky smooth. “Do you like the power? Like the control in bed?”
She swallowed. Sometimes, she wanted to lose control. To be taken.
His hand lifted, brushed across her cheek in a caress that lanced her flesh with its heat. “And at the end,” he said, pressing in even closer, so close that for a moment she thought he was going to kiss her, “when the pleasure is pounding through you, how does it feel to kill your lovers?”
What? “No, listen, I’ve never—”
He grabbed her hands, yanked them up and held her tight. Not hurting her. Trapping her. “How do you do it? Drugs? An injection?”
She twisted her hands, trying to break free. “I don’t know what you’re talking about!” A lie. Killing a lover was so easy.
But not her way.
“Right, princess.”
Her eyes narrowed at the mocking tone.
“You don’t have any idea why we’re here. You don’t know Michael House, and you have no idea how your ID came to be at our scene.”
“Wh-what—” She broke off, struggling to clear her throat. “What happened to Michael?” A murder scene, he’d said he found her bag at—
His lips tightened. “I thought you didn’t know him.”
“What happened?” She wrenched her hands away from him.
“Come down to the station, and I’ll be glad to tell you.”
She hurried back a few steps, and stumbled into the other guy—the shifter. Dammit, how had he moved so fast? When had the jerk circled behind her? “I’m not going anywhere with you.”
One dark brow lifted. “Wanna bet on that?”
Not particularly.
The shifter’s hands landed heavily on her shoulders. She jumped at the contact. His touch was cold to her skin, where Brooks had felt burning hot.
Brooks held her gaze. “You can do this the easy way and come with us willingly—”
“Or you can fight,” the shifter growled in her ear, “and still wind up finding your ass downtown.”
Oh, she didn’t like him. Didn’t like either of them. Her skin began to prickle as rage and power swept through her.
“Easy.” The whisper was so soft she might have imagined it. The shifter’s voice. Barely breathing in her ear.
She drew in a ragged gasp of air at the sound, drawing the cold oxygen deep into her lungs. Control. She couldn’t shatter in front of them. They were cops.
Cops who were suspecting her of—what? Assault? Murder?
If she put up a fight, and used her power, she’d never be safe in Atlanta again. She’d have to run, and she wouldn’t be able to stop running for a long, long time.
She wasn’t the type to run. Never had been.
Her chin lifted as she made her decision. “I’ll do it the easy way.”
The human’s lips began to curl.
“For now.”
That wiped the smug smile right off his handsome face.

Reviews of Cynthia Eden's books:

Hotter after midnight

CONTEST:

Cynthia Eden is giving away a copy of her newest release MIDNIGHT SINS or the winners choice of her backlist to one lucky winner. So leave a comment to enter the drawing. The winner will be announced tomorrow morning.

38 comments:

Nicholas Roussos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lea said...

Hi Cynthia and Danny!

Great interview!! Your series sounds wonderful Cynthia and I am so looking forward to the read. The excerpt from 'Midnight Sins', looks very hot!

Thank you so much for the contest!

Hope both have a great day!!

Best Regards
Lea

Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia,

I enjoyed learning more about you and I definitly put these on my wish list. :)

Thanks Danny fo rhaving wonderful athors pop in. Great job!

Dawn R.

SaturnMoonie said...

Mornin'

I love reading your interviews, they're nice and funny, hehe.
I'd imagine if I ever got published and saw my book on the shelves that I'd be snapping pics and saying "they're mine" too HAHA. I'd probably stop costumers and tell them to buy it HAHA, just grab a random person by the arm and say "HEY YOU, Why are you passing by my book without grabbing a copy, BUY IT NOW!" :p

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, and hopefully you're less lethargic than I am at the moment.

Jane said...

Hi Cynthia and Danny,
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Congrats on the new release, Cynthia. How many books are going to be in your new paranormal bounty hunter series?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia and Danny!! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Cynthia, congrats on the new release, can't wait to read it! Thanks for holding the contest and happy shopping everyone. (Remember to buy books for Xmas * Grin *) Barb

Brandy W said...

Great interview. I've been seeing MIDNIGHT SINS around online a lot lately. The more I see it the more I want to get it.

Anonymous said...

Hey--
I so very much enjoy Cynthia Eden's books! Hope I win a book! Can't wait for more books of hers!

Cynthia Eden said...

Gack! Sorry, everyone! This morning, I wasn't on my computer when I posted and it came up under a different name. Yep--I'm Cynthia, not Nicholas--and I wanted to say thanks for interviewing me. LOL--sorry, let's blame the confusion on the turkey madness!

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Lea! Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the interview and the excerpt. Have great Black Friday!

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Dawn! Thanks for stopping by and checking out the interview!

SaturnMoonie, I am most definitely lethargic right now--thus me posting under the wrong name first thing this morning! Sigh. I think I need some nice, hot cocoa to perk me up. :-)

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Jane!I hope you had a great, Thanksgiving, too! Right now, I'm hoping for 3 books with the paranormal bounty hunters...but I'm open to more! I just finished the rough draft of the second book. Next week, I'll start the rewrites and edits on that story.

Hey, Barb! Thanks for the congrats--and thanks for reminding folks to buy books for Christmas! I bought three books last week and plan to head out soon to get more. My son...the boy will have so many books for Christmas...

Oh, great, Bray! Glad to know you've heard about/seen Midnight Sins!

Thank you, lovemusicgirl! I appreciate you stopping by to check out the interview and excerpt!

Cynthia Eden said...

Danny--thank you, again, for interviewing me. I had such a great time answering the questions!

Cathy said...

Hi Cynthia, love your storytelling and your titles always seem to end up on my keeper shelf. Can't wait to read Midnight Sins.

Cheryl McInnis said...

Hi Cynthia!

Congrats again on the new release!
I hope it is selling like hotcakes ;- ) and can I say how much I am dying to read Niol's story? I bet you have an amazing heroine lined up for him!

Anonymous said...

I love the excerpt!! I've read it before, but everytime I read it, I want the book even more.
I love the idea for your heroine Cynthia!

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia!

Another great interview! :D

Brandy said...

I can so see Kate Beckinsdale as Dr. Emily! And it would be interesting to talk to Mary Shelley.

Have a great day!

Miss Slick One said...

******
All the while, I was saying, “That’s mine!” They gave me a look that said, “Um, yeah, when you buy it, weirdo.”
******
LOLOL!! I can just see that!
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Phyllis Sherer
South Carolina

Unknown said...

Great interview and excerpt, Cynthia! I'm looking forward to Midnight Sins!

zarache AT aol DOT com

Estella said...

Great interview.
I have seen Midnight Sins on the net quite frequently lately.
I have it on my Wish List.

Cynthia Eden said...

Thank you, Cathy! I hope you enjoy it!

Hi, Cherlyl! Thank you!! Niol...his story was so much fun! My editor sent me an email saying that a few sample cover flats for his story were on the way to me (more will arrive later). I think I'll give some away soon..

Nadeera, I am so glad you enjoyed the excerpt--and that you like the idea for my heroine! Thank you!

Brandy, I've always thought Mary Shelley would be an interesting lady to chat with--I'm sure she'd have some interesting stories to tell.

Hello, Phyllis! I had a great Thanksgiving--and I've just returned from battling the Black Friday crowds (scary...those shelves were empty). I hope you had a great holiday!

Hi, bamabelle! Glad you enjoyed the interview and the excerpt!

Susan said...

Hi Cynthia and Danny!

I truly enjoyed the interview! Great picks for playing Emily and Colin from Hotter After Midnight. That is an outstanding book and if anyone here hasn't read it yet run out and get it! You won't be sorry!

Are you sure your DH wasn't just a little jealous of the attention Jude was getting? ;-)

Terrific excerpt from Midnight Sins!

Susan

CrystalGB said...

Hi Cynthia and Danny. Great interview. Congratulations on the release of Midnight Sins. I loved the excerpt.

Unknown said...

Wow Awesome interview. Thank you so much for all of your insights. I really really really want to read this book.

Pam P said...

Another great interview, Cynthia. I love seeing an interesting villain turned hero, can't wait to read Niol's story.

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, danie! (I apologize--I missed responding to your comment earlier!) Glad you liked the interview!

Estella--I'm happy to make your wish list. :-)

Susan--thank you very much! I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed Hotter After Midnight!!! And, yep, I think the husband was jealous...

Hi, Crystal! Thank you!

Thanks for checking out the interview, sarabelle!

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia :) Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Have a couple questions for you :) You commented about a book about a paranormal bounty hunter, the hero being a white tiger shifter. Has this book been released and if not is there a date scheduled? Also you commented that you have written the second in the series, how many will be in this series? You have really peeked my interest in this series :)

Have a great night!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Cynthia :) Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I have a question from the interview. You talk about the bounty hunter series, the first being about a white tiger shifter named Jude. When will this book be released?

Thanks for another great interview!!!

Karin said...

Great interview! I loved some of your answers, especially the one about inserting Jude into conversations. I'm really looking forward to reading Midnight Sins.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Midnight Sins sounds great!

Edie Ramer said...

Hi Cynthia! I got Midnight Sins today! Yay! I had already started to read another book. As soon as I'm done, yours will be the next book I read!

Pamk said...

great interview and love this series.

Lori T said...

Hi Cynthia and Danny~

Great interview! While you do not listen to music while writing ...what is your favorite type of music and what is your favorite group or artist?

ArkieRN said...

Hi Cynthia. Congratulations on your new release. I've loved the blurbs and excerpts that I've read. Hope you and yours had a Happy Thanksgiving.

tetewa said...

I enjoy your reads and I'm looking forward to this one!

Dannyfiredragon said...

Okay,

there winner of yesterdays contest is..... SaturnMoonie.

Big congrats!!!!

I will send Cynthia your e-mail addy, so she can get contact with you.

For everyone who didn't won, don't be sad because we have some great authors scheduled for the next weeks. So stop by again

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Michele! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, too! Jude's story hasn't been released yet--it's set to release in 01/10 (so it should be on the shelves the last week of December 09). Right now, I'm planning for 3 in this series, but I would certainly be open to more! :-)

Thank you, Karin! LOL--I've finally stopped talking about him now...

Thanks, Amy!

Hi, Edie! Once you get a chance to read it, please let me know what you think!

Hello, Pam!! Thank you!

Lori, I like all kinds of music--seriously, my radio is tuned to completely different channels. When my mood varies, so does my music. Hmmm...I don't think I have a favorite artist, although a long time ago, I loved Shakespeare's Sister. (Long, long time ago...)

Thank you, ArkieRN! I'm glad you enjoyed the blurbs and excerpt info!

Hi, tetewa! Thank you!!

Congratulations, SaturnMoonie!! :-)

Thanks to everyone for the comments. And Danny--thank you!