Saturday, January 3, 2009

Welcome to Nancy Henderson's guest blog

Welcome Ms. Nancy Henderson to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.

Hi, Danny. Thank you so much for having me.

Did you always want to become a writer?

I’m not sure if I always wanted to be a writer. I guess I’ve always been a storyteller, but storytelling and writing are two different animals. I come from a family of storytellers, mainly my father and my late grandmother. Those two together late at night telling ghost stories, it would raise the hair on the back of your neck! But writing came to me in high school. I just started writing down little stories, which gradually turned into novels. And now I’m hooked!

What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

The most interesting thing about writing, for me, is learning how the story ends. I’m a pantster. I don’t plot at all, or else very little. For me, discovering how each character grows and changes is the most exciting. I do a lot of research with my historical romances, particularly my Colonial set romances, which is also very interesting for me, being a huge history buff. Probably the least interesting thing about writing is the alone time required for writing. When I’m locked in my writing cave for hours, sometimes days when on a deadline, I tend to lose track of the world. No hairbrush, survival on Doritos and Diet Coke. Not pretty!

How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

Seeing my book on the shelf was so surreal. It still is. And wonderful. It’s hard to believe people read my work, share the characters who live in my mind. There’s no greater rush. Sadly, I don’t have a ritual when a book is released. I just start writing a new one. I may treat myself to seeing a movie.

How did your family react to fact that you also write romance novels? Have your family read your books?

My family is so supportive of my writing, always have been. My mom, especially, a writer herself, reads all my work before it goes out. If something isn’t working, if there’s a part of the plot which makes no sense, she tells me. She’s my number one critique partner.

Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

I’m a voracious reader. My all time favorites are Stephen King and Marjorie M. Liu. I also love Shannon Drake, Beth Williamson, Caitlyn Kittridge and a ton more, too many to name! Every book I read inspires me. Words inspire me.

Your characters come to life in your books. Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

I don’t thing I have any real live role model for my characters, but my characters definitely live inside my little warped mind. Often I feel as those I’m simply a transcriber for them, that they are the ones telling the story, not me. Is that a form of schizophrenia??? LOL!

Where do you get the inspirations for your books?

People ask me this all the time, and I wish I had an answer. I’m not sure where my inspiration comes from. Ideas are all around me, in current events, events of the past, passing conversations. I first got the idea for my first paranormal “Ghost Of A Chance” by visiting a cemetery. Talk about unusual places for inspiration!

Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?

Not at all. Love scenes are just like any action scene, believe it or not. Actions and dialogue have to be choreographed out, made to seen believable, and of course pack an emotional punch.

What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

My all time favorite hero and heroine are Adahya and Katherine St. James from my first release, Blackbird. The two just complimented each other so well. Adahya is easily annoyed, and Katherine is spunky and insightful, and of course never shuts up. A perfect combination for an explosive romance!

Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

Blackbird and Stranger In His Bed were the easiest books to write. Both literally wrote themselves, I think because the characters were so strong. Their stories were just begging to be told. Ghost Of A Chance was probably the most difficult to write. I had never written a contemporary romance before that. Plus it was my first paranormal, so the fact that it was basically unchartered territory for me was a great learning experience as well as a challenge that I loved.

If you could change places with one character from your books, who would it be and why?

I don’t think I would want to change places with any of my characters. I love my boring, predictable, safe life. My characters have too many problems! LOL!

If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

Oh, that’s easy. I’d love to visit Boston during the Colonial times. I’d also love to talk with John Hancock, Alexander Hamilton, all the founders of our country. Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, other greats I’d love to meet.

Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?

I do listen to music when I write. Everything from Bach to Rob Zombie, depending on the scene I’m writing.

If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?

I’d love to see all my books turned into movies! I may be partial, but Russell Crowe would make the best hero for all of them. LOL

Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?

I have two releases this year. Wicked Redemption comes out in January, and Stranger In His Bed comes out in August. Here’s a blurb of each:

Wicked Redemption:

Maggie Webb never considered her ability a gift. In fact, seeing dead people
has put quite a damper on her life. When a demon shows up seeking revenge, all hell breaks loose. An even bigger problem: he passes out in her home then wakes up with no memory whatsoever.

Cole Turner is back from Hell, and he’s going to make Maggie pay. Maggie’s “gift” is blocking his mission of stealing souls. However, coming to Earth without permission from The Dark One has cut his ties to Hell and caused him to lose his memory. He no longer knows Maggie Webb as his enemy but sees her as the only person who can help him discover who, or what, he really is.

Maggie doesn’t want to see the vulnerability in Cole, and the healer in her struggles against her better judgment. Having amnesia, Cole reveals his humanity to her, and he becomes the first to really understand her gift, which gradually unlocks her guarded heart. The attraction she feels toward him is undeniable, but if Cole regains his memory he may try to destroy her once again. And if the Dark One finds him…Can Maggie break the bonds of Hell?


Stranger In His Bed:

A spy for the British, Cat Sterling is used to living dangerously. Despite having a bounty on her head, she never expects to be shot in the line of duty and left for dead.

Angus French had enough problems without finding a near-dead woman on his property. A Revolution was coming, and British sympathizers have just burned down his tavern. The last thing he needs is to be caught housing a woman who’s working for them.

The price on Cat’s head will more than pay for the damage done to his business. He never expects Cat to see him as security and kindness, two things she’s never had in life. And he never expects to learn that Cat has a few secrets of her own which threaten to rip them apart.


Thank you so much for having me.

~ Nancy
http://www.nancyhenderson.com
http://www.nancyhenderson.blogspot.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,

your new releases look interesting, especially the paranormal one. I'll be checking it out when it releases.

I enjoyed reading the interview, thanks for sharing your time with us.

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com

Nancy Henderson said...

Thanks, Valerie. This paranormal was so much fun to write. I love making up worlds as I go!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy

Big Mike here. You had me scared at first when I read you were a panther. First time for some reason I read "I'm a cougar". Now you are talking romance and that does form some special images. Then I read it again, and all was OK.

Nice interview, except for the scare (g).

Michael Davis
Davisstories.com

Ciara Gold said...

Oh great interview, Nancy. And I agree, I love living vicariously through my characters but I wouldn't switch places for the world.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,

Loved the interview and can't wait to check out your books. Intrigued by the Paranormal one. *grins*

Dawn
dawn_roberto@yahoo.com

Linda LaRoque said...

Hi Nancy,
Interesting interview. Your life isn't boring--you get to live through your characters! Fun isn't it?
Best of luck with your new releases.

Linda

Estella said...

I enjoyed the interview. Now I need to check out your books!

Kimber Chin said...

I have SUCH admiration for pantsers.
I'm a locked down plotter.
Sure, there are 'surprises'
but I know the direction the book is going to go.

I tried a pantser book.
Yikes.
Will never do that again.

So how far ahead do you think
when you're writing?
With pantsers, is it totally in the moment or is your brain a chapter ahead of your fingers?

Candace Morehouse said...

You are so lucky you have your mother as a crit partner! I can relate that you love history and it was harder to write a contemporary than a historical. I'm ready to get back to some historical stories myself.
Great interview and keep up the good work, Nancy!