Tuesday, September 29, 2009

THE GOODBYE COUSINS by Maggie Leffler

Publisher: Bantam
Date published: June 2007
ISBN: 978-0385340472
Women’s fiction
Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie


Diotima Linzer’s mother kidnapped her when she was eleven and ran off to Europe where her father and the FBI couldn’t find them. Now, after her mother has died and she is herself a single mom, she is returning to the States to find her father. For now, she has to move in with her cousin Alecia and Alecia’s fiancé, Ben. The apartment is crowded and Di is looking for a job so she can move out. Alecia is having problems of her own. She’s promoted to television news anchor and there is the case of the prenup she hasn’t mentioned to Ben. Plus there is one tiny thing between them that may be the cause of the whole marriage being put on hold...indefinitely. Di is kind of coerced into a nanny job and finds herself kind of falling for the good-looking, rich, ‘almost divorced’ father. But another equation enters into her life by the name of Dave the landscaper. These two cousins are going to find out that family has a way of staying together.

In spite of its, in my opinion, slow start, this story soon developed into an interesting and entertaining read. I really warmed up to Di and her dilemma. I loved her interaction with her son. Both Di and Alecia have somewhat dysfunctional families, but they find out in the end that family ties do bind. This is a very heartwarming story with many humorous bits and tender moments. Of course, there are some family secrets that come to light too. I found Alecia’s problems with Ben intriguing and exciting. Will they, won’t they? This kept me hanging on the edge of my seat. Once I got past the slow beginning, I found I couldn’t put this book down and it kept my attention until the last page. Ms Leffler writes a lively story that is also tender and humorous. I can certainly recommend this author if you like a story that will warm your heart and gets down to the nitty gritty of people and their relationships. And if you like a believable story that you can’t put down.

No comments: