Tuesday, September 29, 2009

THE LEGACY OF THE SILVER SCORPION by H. G. Martin

Publisher: Mundania Press
Date Published: July 2009
ISBN: 978-1-59426-973-8
Futuristic/Historical
E-book
Reviewed by Dawn


CLICK TO PURCHASE! In 1940, a vigilante by the name of The Silver Scorpion was cleaning the streets of NYC and fighting crime. A hero to many and to some, a menace, he stalked the nights delivering his version of justice until he disappeared without a sound. Now one hundred and forty years have passed and New York City is in need of their greatest hero again. Evil has ruled ruthlessly and the people have given up or lost hope. Can The Silver Scorpion come back to help give this haunted town a chance to shine once more?

THE LEGACY OF THE SILVER SCORPION sounded like a really cool story to enjoy and pass an afternoon with. I found the writing tight, fast paced and it draws you in the beginning. The problem I had with this story was the endless back and forth from one time period to another. It kept jumping me out of the enjoyment of reading about The Silver Scorpion. It starts out in 1940 and the reader gets a bird’s eye view of how this man worked NYC. It was like those old movies with swashbuckling heroes and damsels in distress, except the damsels were a city. Then the story goes to the way side. Next thing I knew, it was 2080 and The Silver Scorpion is facing a different threat in a city he remembers from 1940 and people who he thinks are slightly nuts. The one other thing I have to mention is all these characters thrown at you. I just could not get into them and it felt like the story should have had a “who’s who” list in there to let you know all about them. It was just hard to really care about them. Add in the hopping between time periods and you get a mixed up mess that had me rubbing my eyes in confusion. The flow starts off nice and it builds up, then you are yanked out and it starts all over again. I would have enjoyed this more if it didn’t have that problem of yanking me out of the story constantly.

THE LEGACY OF THE SILVER SCORPION sounds like a really good historical/futuristic story to enjoy but it does have some issues that I didn’t enjoy. I wish the author had the Silver Scorpion do something else besides cleaning up after everyone else. If you enjoy this type of story then this may be the one for you.

No comments: