Wednesday, January 6, 2010

CLOSE RELATIONS by Susan Isaacs

Publisher: Avon
Date published: August 2009
ISBN 978-0-06-173531-8
Contemporary
Trade Paperback
Reviewed by Tina
Obtained via Publisher


Marcia Green loves her life. She’s a successful political speechwriter, maybe one of the best around. While she loves her family she’s constantly reminded that she’s thirty-five, divorced and living with someone who doesn’t live up to her Jewish family’s standards. Oh and let’s not forget she’s childless.

Her family wants a different life for her; preferably a dentist or doctor and they’ll even consider meddling, for her own sake of course.

Just when she thinks she has everything she’s always wanted in walks Harvard educated David Hoffman. He’s Mr. Perfect. Oh and lets not forget he’s rich! Now Marcia wants to run – fast and far away. If her family finds out they might stalk him.

As David grows closer to her family will Marcia too?

CLOSE RELATIONS – I wish I could say I enjoyed this book. As a reviewer and reader if I’m not hooked by page five I get worried. When I reach page fifty and still haven’t found anything interesting about the book - I just want to shove it in a drawer and find something new. I didn’t. I continued until the last page hoping something would grab me. It didn’t. I wasn’t wowed.

Unfortunately, in my mind Ms. Isaacs bored me with the repetitive political information overload. The stereotypical Jewish family is a tired plot and made the heroine unlikable and weak in my opinion. If Ms. Isaacs added a twist to the plot or character it might have made CLOSE RELATIONS a more interesting read.

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS BOOK. THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE UNBIASED REVIEW.

No comments: