Sunday, January 17, 2010

SOME LIKE IT KILTED by Allie Mackay

Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Publication Date: February 2010
ISBN: 978-0-451228932-1
Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Paperback
Reviewed by Gina
Obtained via publisher



Mindy Menlove sees the world in black and white. If she can see it, smell it, taste it, hear it or feel it’s real. If there’s a bit of gray, it doesn’t exist. Her sister, Margo however, believes in possibilities and things that go bump in the night. In fact, Margo wishes she could see and hear more of those things that go bump in the night. While Mindy sees the ancient Scottish Castle left to her by her former beau as a series of boulders around her neck, Margo sees it as unlimited possibilities. When the ghosts of her smarmy former beau’s ancestors confront her and demand she return the castle to Scotland—did I mention that the castle had been moved stone by stone to Pennsylvania?—Mindy isn’t so sure about her own sanity. When they refuse to cease prodding her, she heads, with the castle’s stones, to Scotland. There she meets yet another ghost, Chieftain Bran of Barra himself.

While Bran of Barra helped his friends Alex and Aidan to be with their 21st century women, the last thing the ghostly laird wishes is to find his own Pennsylvanian beauty. He’s pleased as can be to live out his ghostly eternity in his own dimension, his castle with nary a change than how he had it in life. Mindy’s arrival in Scotland, however, upsets his carefully laid out eternity. Still, the red headed hunk can’t stop himself for seeking the American woman out again and again. Will he at long last find love?

SOME LIKE IT KILTED is the latest installment to Allie MacKay’s “highlander” series and by far the best. Ms. Mackay’s humor it sprinkled throughout making the book a fun read. She skillfully weaves the elements of reincarnation, time travel and ghostly happenings into a well told story. When I first read Bran’s description – a barrel chested red head I wasn’t so sure he was my idea of a hero. The character quickly turned my head and became one of the most compelling heroes I’ve read in some time. His innate sensuality sprang off the page and into my own fertile imagination. I wouldn’t mind having him show up in my bedroom to carry me back in time to his castle.

I liked the balance between Mindy and Margo and while I would have loved to see what would happen if Margo did arrive in Scotland, the story lost nothing by her lack of arrival there. As an animal lover I thoroughly enjoyed Gibbie, Bran’s dog. The animal characters is one of the aspects about Ms. MacKay’s books I really enjoy. They have their own personalities and add much to the stories.

Each book in the series is a stand alone and while you don’t need to read them all in order to enjoy each one, I do recommend reading all of them. They are easy reads, perfect for a weekend’s entertainment and escape. If you only read one though, I’d recommend SOME LIKE IT KILTED. I look forward to the next installment.



THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS BOOK. THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE UNBIASED REVIEW

No comments: