Saturday, January 9, 2010

Welcome to Rachel Brimble's guest blog


Welcome Ms. Brimble to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.


Did you always want to become a writer?


Yes, ever since I was very young. I can remember my teacher asking me to make up stories to tell the class when we had ‘carpet time’! I was five or six so goodness knows what I used to talk about but I kept the attention of my peers for more than five minutes so that has to be a good thing, I suppose.


What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?


The most interesting for me is discovering new characters and the decisions they make and why they make them. It’s different each and every time that special hero or heroine leaps from your mind to the page. The least interesting? The final read before the book goes to publication! Well, for me, anyway. By this stage, it feels as though I read the book a hundred times and my new characters and new book gets jealous of the time I’m spending away from them!


How do you plan to celebrate your first release?


With a big glass of Pinot Grigio and a Mexican (meal that is, not man!), LOL! I always go out on release date with my family and we have a nice night out in celebration. After that, promotion begins in earnest…

How did your family react to fact that you write romance novels? Have your family read your book?


My parents are extremely proud of me because I wasn’t one of the writers that wrote something and it was immediately published. I learned the craft by trial and error. I started with short stories and grew from competition wins and ezines to writing full-length novels. I have a box file of rejections that I am very proud of!


Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?


Am I? I am NEVER without a book on the go, usually two or three, if I’m honest. I read straight across the genres so a few of my favourites are:


Romance: Nora Roberts, Tami Hoag, Marian Keyes, Julie Cohen


Historical: Philippa Gregory, Christie Dickason


Crime: Martina Cole, Ruth Rendell, Minette Walters


Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?


The heroine and hero follow me around as soon as I start to write dialogue – I hear them in my head all the time especially when I’m ironing or walking the dog! I don’t have living role models as such – I think there is a part of me in all my characters whether male or female. Or maybe they act out the things I’d like to do but would never have the courage or say the things I’d like to say but never would. They come from somewhere but I have no idea exactly where!


Where do you get the inspirations for your books?


Everywhere – TV, newspapers, my own life, my parents lives. Sometimes I have to look for an idea, but most of the time it comes as a flash of inspiration seemingly from nowhere.


Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?


Never – It’s my favourite part! I don’t write overly graphic scenes, my love scenes are usually rated as steamy and the aim is always to get the protagonists and the reader hot under the collar and wanting more.


Do you have a problem with deadlines and have you ever suffered a writers block?


Deadlines are a fact of a writer’s life – I work better under pressure than any other time so I welcome them, they keep me focused. Writer’s block is a myth – you work through it.


Do you prefer stand-alone books or series (As a reader or a writer) ?


No preference – I read and read and read some more.



If you could change places with one character from your book, who would it be and why?


If I was a guy, I would most definitely like to be Jamie – he’s rich, successful, good-looking but what makes him the most attractive to me is his ability to laugh at himself and know he is far from perfect. He is in love with the most fantastically funny woman and will not quit until she’s his…


What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?



My next release, coming from The Wild Rose Press in Summer 2010 is my favourite so far – it is my very first historical. Bboth the hero and heroine are equally fiery, feisty and the fireworks are aplenty! Their story is the most romantic I have written and the most passionate – keep checking my website for an official release date.



Would you like to give another genre a try?



I am playing with the idea of writing a crime novel – the thoughts keep coming into my head and then disappearing. I’m not sure if maybe the story I have in mind will end up being a romantic suspense but I can definitely feel a murder brewing…


Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?



Even though it’s my favourite, the historical was the hardest to write both for accuracy and research as well as the characters misbehaviour. The easiest was probably The Sharp Points of a Triangle, my current release. The hero and heroine, Hannah and Jamie were talking to me way before I started writing and didn’t shut up until I finished!


If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?


Again, it would have to be my romantic comedy, The Sharp Points of a Triangle, starring Matthew MaConahay as Jamie and maybe Sandra Bullock as Hannah (even though my characters are decidedly younger!)


If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?


My favourite era is Tudor – Henry VIII has always fascinated and always will. That time in the British monarchy was insane!


Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?



No – complete silence needed, I’m afraid.


Big congrats to your latest release, can you please tell us something about the book?


The Sharp Points of a Triangle is a romantic comedy about love and second chances. It is due for release on January 7th 2010 by Eternal Press. The hero and heroine are past lovers. They went their separate ways when the hero left to pursue his career leaving the heroine heartbroken. But then they are thrown together at a conference six years later. They are both there as rivals to secure the wealthiest man in South West England as their client.

It is a romance full of ups and downs, laughter and tears. I hope the cast of characters leap from the page for the reader just as they did into my mind when I was writing the novel. I guarantee Hannah and Jamie’s story will bring a big old smile to your face and a little melt to your heart.

As for Hannah’s boss? Well, you can make your own mind up about him…


Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?



My current work in progress is my longest novel yet at 90,000 words – it is contemporary romance set in the UK’s club land. The heroine is a club owner trying to escape the seedier side of life once and for all – the hero is a social worker trying to free every kid who’s suffering.

For anyone who likes a strong, beta male who is out to save the world and a heroine who will fight to the end for the life she wants – you do not want to miss Grace and Jimmy’s journey!

No comments: