Monday, March 15, 2010

AT THE DUKE’S PLEASURE by Tracy Anne Warren

Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: January 2010
ISBN: 9780061673429
Regency Historical Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Obtained via: Publisher
Reviewed by Penny



It is time for Edward Byron, the Duke of Clybourne, to wed. He has been betrothed to a woman since he was 12 years old and she was a newborn baby. She is exactly what society expects him to marry. Unfortunately Lady Claire Marsden does not wish to be wed. Claire has loved Edward since she was sixteen and she has waited and waited for him to come and claim her hand. Now, years later he has finally come but he does not return her affection. But how can he? They are strangers to one another. She will not except a loveless marriage and sets out to force Edward to call off their marriage. But will her scandalous behavior have its desired effect?


I LOVED this book! Author Tracy Anne Warren sent me on a wild ride with an array of emotions. I felt for Claire’s plight. She has loved this man from afar for years, and has learned the hard way of his trysts with other women. Now he has come for her and she wants him to feel the same about her that she has felt about him for years. She is also upset that it has taken him so long to come for her. And can she trust him not to take mistress after mistress after they are married? Sure, that is normal behavior for society men as long as they are somewhat discreet, but that is not the kind of marriage that she wants. Claire’s father is rather a jerk. He makes it clear that she is to wed Edward, Duke of Clybourne or be disowned and left to fend for herself. So she comes up with a brilliant plan that consists of outrageous behaviors that are designed to make the Duke cry off and dissolve their engagement. I giggled and laughed out loud at some of her escapades and the reactions she garnered as a result. I was also proud of Edward for his reactions of Claire’s antics as well. It is not at all what Claire was hoping for.

These characters delighted me and entertained me. I am a huge fan of Regency books and this one did not disappoint me in any way. Every good book of this genre has to have a villain or villainess and this one is no exception.


Ms Warren’s writing is smooth and precise; there is not a dull moment to be had. I am sorry that I have not had the opportunity to read the other books that I understand are about the Byrons. I will have to see if I can find them and put them on my ‘to be read’ list! I can only hope that I would be as charmed by them as I was by AT THE DUKE’S PLEASURE.





THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS BOOK. THIS IS AN OBJECTIVE UNBIASED REVIEW

No comments: