Friday, March 26, 2010

Welcome to Su Halfwerk's guest blog


Welcome Ms. Halfwerk to Love Romances and More, thank you for joining us.

I’m excited to be here. Thanks for having me.


Did you always want to become a writer?

I didn’t think about it seriously until 2004, by then I needed to write to maintain my sanity. However, something always intrigued me about the written word, it was a natural progression to put on paper the stories that float around in my head. Perhaps secretly I always wanted/needed to be a writer.


What is the most, and the least interesting fact about writing?

Most interesting fact is the research. I learn a lot by researching the topics I’m writing about. That comes in handy in real life sometimes.

Least interesting fact is the back pain due to the long hours in front of the computer.


How do you plan to celebrate your first release?

A trip to my favorite Italian restaurant. My favorite dish: Scaloppine al limone (Veal Scallops with Lemon). Tiramisu.


How did you celebrate your first release? What was it like to see your book in a bookstore? Do you have a special ritual for celebrating a book release?

I think the Italian restaurant will be a good ritual to follow. Untamed Temptation is an e-book, so I won’t be seeing it in bookstores, but glimpsing the book cover on different websites makes me beam with pride.


How did your family react to fact that you write romance novels? Have your family read your book?

They are very proud and impressed though they haven’t read it yet. I know for a fact one of my sisters is going to, at least to read the dedication ☺


Most authors are also avid readers. Is this the case with you? If so, who are some of your favorites? Have any influenced your writing?

Oh, I devour books be it a paperback, audio, or e-book. I love to read for Kresley Cole, Stephen King, and Karen Rose, among many other authors. I think any book I read influences my writing; even if it’s not to my taste. Good books inspire me, bad ones teach me what to avoid in writing.


Do you feel each of your characters live with you as you write? Do their lives sometimes take over a part of your life? Can you name an example? Do you have living role models for your characters?

They don’t live with me, but reside in my head. They sort of dictate the story to me, always present in the back of my mind. They take over my life only when I sit in front of my faithful laptop, and I think this is their right. After all, I am writing their stories. They take over with slight nudges, for example, if my character likes a certain song, you’ll find me humming it as I write.

I don’t have living role models for my characters, they just hitch a ride with my muse.


Where do you get the inspirations for your books?

It’s in everything around me. People, buildings, the weather, a story I heard on the news. Anything and everything can trigger the “what if…” syndrome in my thoughts. Once, while listening to Hero by Darren Hayes, the idea for a WIP came to me.


Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes?

Not really. I like to heighten the tension either by scaring or seducing people. I believe these two emotions are the best to draw the reader in.


Do you have a problem with deadlines and have you ever suffered a writers block?

Usually I handle deadlines pretty well. I hate being late, so I make sure everything is ready and set long before the deadline’s approach. Writer’s block? No. Writer’s dillydallying? Yes, definite.


Do you prefer stand-alone books or series (As a reader or a writer) ?

As a reader, I had better luck with stand-alone books. If there is any disappointment in the plot or author’s writing style, it is clear from that single title. As an author, I wrote stand-alone books so far. Not sure how I’ll feel about a series.


If you could change places with one character from your book, who would it be and why?

Alex. He is hot, intelligent, has travelled around the world, time has been good to his appearance, and…did I say he’s hot?


What is your favorite book from the books that you have written so far? Who are your favorite hero and heroine, and why?

I don’t have a favourite among my books, I love them all. When it comes to the characters, I like Andrew and Adoria in my current WIP. This bias might be because I’m still in the process of shaping them and their world.


Would you like to give another genre a try?

I started by writing horror, and then experimented with paranormal romance. I wouldn’t mind trying another genre, given that I have the right tools to test it out.


Which book was the hardest to write and which the easiest?

Intricate Entanglement was the hardest to write. It involved a lot of research into psychology and history. His to possess was the easiest, not sure why. Perhaps because the inspiration to write it came coupled with the need to give people hope.

By the way, both titles are contracted but not out yet.


If you could choose of your books for a movie, which one would it be and who would you as the cast?

I would choose Untamed Temptation, with Julie Benz as Magnolia and Clive Own as Alex (I know the accents will be the other way around, but actors are so resourceful)


If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

That would be Nefertiti. There is much myth and mystery surrounding that lady. I have loads of questions for her.


Do you listen to music while you are writing and if so what music is it?

Unless the trigger for the book was a song, I usually prefer quiet environment.


Big congrats to your latest release, can you please tell us something about the book?

Sure.

Magnolia Colby joins a dangerous expedition in the Amazon as a substitute photographer. To push the head archeologist, Alex Marcellus, to stay on the team, she lies to him about her relationship with her brother Marcus. Convinced she has tricked Alex into thinking she's actually Mrs. Marcus Colby, she avoids him to protect him from the leopard she changes into every night.

Alex knows the truth about Magnolia's non-existent marriage. He watches her every movement, wondering if she's the beast he's been sent to capture to stop the murders in the UK...and dreading the idea that she may be. In an attempt to learn the truth about her, he tempts her with his heat and desire, but loses himself as well.
When the final confrontation with the murderer occurs, who will win? Will Magnolia be able to save herself and Alex from the monster?


You can watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuJwiMGIns8

The book is available from Sapphire Blue Publishing.


Are you working on anything right now, and can you tell us a teaser about these projects?

I just finished writing a sweet paranormal romance about a woman who falls in love with a ghost. Their short journey to find their true meaning to each other will spark hope in some hearts.

Another WIP is the story of a special type of hero who is after the man who killed his wife and daughter, and scarred his son for life. But the hero’s powers come with a very frustrating sexual restriction, and he still has to maintain a good front for his glamorous day job.


Thanks Danny for having me over, and I look forward to visiting again.

You can find me at the following places:

Website

Facebook
Twitter

Blog

No comments: