Monday, March 8, 2010

Welcome to Yolanda Sfetsos' guest blog

At what cost?

Writing a tale of demonic possession is something that I've done several times and will probably do again. It stems from my macabre fascination with The Exorcist. I watched that movie when I was very young, which is probably not a good thing because it spooked the hell out of me. Yet, I couldn't get it out of my mind. The concept of possession struck a cord with me, and it encouraged me to watch Amityville II: The Possession several years later. Another frightening movie that deals with the subject.

These two stories look at what happens to a child and a teenager when a demon takes over their lives. And it's not pretty.

With my Alyce Kerr, Faith Healer Trilogy, I tackle the idea of possession a different way...

Careless: Book Two of the Alyce Kerr, Faith Healer Trilogy

Alyce Kerr used to be a celebrity Faith Healer. Now all she wants to do is to stay out of the limelight.

Her short career of healing the sick publicly has left her with a gaping hole in her soul and a binding to a demon that makes her vulnerable. With Ross by her side and the help of a recluse demonologist, Alyce may be able to reclaim her soul... but at what price?

Can the demonologist be trusted with Alyce’s life, or will her curiosity with all-that-is-demonic work against them?

What if you choose to summon and attach a demon to yourself? What if that demon gives you a power that helps make you famous? But what if all of that comes at the cost of letting him take a little bit of your soul with every bit of help he gives you? Well, these are things that Alyce Kerr has to deal with during the span of this trilogy.

In the first book, FAITHLESS, she's still living her celebrity status and is healing people in sellout arenas. But she's also losing herself and doesn't know how to find a way out. With the help of her ex (Ross), she manages to work things through... but doesn't actually fix them. In this installment, Alyce and Ross are finally back together. The spark they never lost is stronger than ever, but when they meet with a demonologist who might be able to help Alyce they once again find themselves in demonic trouble. And once again, the question pops up: what will be the cost of saving Alyce's soul?

This is a theme that keeps coming up in her story. What's the cost of willingly carrying a demonic entity within her? What's the cost of accepting a complete stranger's help? What's the cost when she's forced to do things she doesn't particularly want to do in order to save Ross? It's like a cycle of one horrible thing followed by another. And sometimes I wonder if I'll ever really give her a chance to find and keep happiness. Because just when I think her story's told and there's no more suffering to dish out, something else pops up.

I guess I just love her world too much to let it go. But Alyce will get her HEA. One day. :)

It's amazing that so many movies I first experienced in childhood somehow still manage to shape my storytelling today. Sometimes, I'm not even aware of it. Not until I sit down and really think about it.

Thanks for reading!

Careless is now available in eBook, print, and Kindle.

Book 1: Faithless is now available in eBook, print and Kindle. Book 3: Boundless will be released in June 2010 by Damnation Books.

---

Yolanda Sfetsos
http://www.yolandasfetsos.com/

About me:

Yolanda Sfetsos lives in Sydney, Australia with her husband, daughter, and cat. She loves to spend most of her days writing stories. Her muse doesn't like genre restrictions and is always happy to toe the dark edge of storytelling. When she’s not writing she spends as much time as possible with her small family. She also enjoys watching movies, TV shows and reading.

1 comment:

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Thank you so much for having me here! :)