Monday, June 7, 2010

NINETEEN EIGHTY-THREE by David Peace

The Red Riding Quartet book 4
Publisher: Vintage
Date published: February 2010
ISBN: 978-0307455130
Crime
Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


Three main characters grace this story. Maurice Jobson is a Yorkshire policeman who is greedy and corrupt. The police force where he works is full of corruption and is rotten to its depths. There are high aspirations to take over and control crime so that their own pockets are lined. BJ is a street thug who is running and hiding in the shadows. Someone is after him. Someone wants to kill him. John Piggot is a solicitor who is working on a cold-case and is trying to get a convicted murderer a reprieve. It seems that the police tortured a confession out of the simple man. Their stories join in this climatic ending to this quartet.

Some dark side of me kept me reading this book even though the writing style made it very difficult. I had a problem keeping the time lines together as the chapters go back and forth between 1969 and 1972. I can imagine they link with the previous books which I haven’t read. Still, I kept reading. There is a lot of violence in this story. The police for one, getting their confessions in a brutal manner was quite shocking. The abductions and murders of young girls, the violence that BJ encounters and the abuse and misuse of people and powers may seem too much for some.

The story itself is told in short sentences that alternate between an inner voice and parts of poems or verses. Also, each character is told in a different point of view which sometimes had me wondering who was I reading about? Still, I kept reading. I found the ending a bit vague too, but David Peace seems to have received various praises in the media and I think if I read the three books before, I may appreciate this one better.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: