Monday, May 17, 2010

PRIDE/PREJUDICE by Ann Herendeen

Publisher: Harper Collins
Date published: January 2010
ISBN: 978-0061863134
Erotic Historical Romance
Trade Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained via publisher




Ann Herendeen, author of PHYLLIDA AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF PHILANDER, has rewritten the beloved story of Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett adding her own interpretation to the relationships between Darcy and his foster brother, George Wickham, and Elizabeth and Charlotte Lucas. Ms Herendeen dares to show her readers the things that she believes is suggested in the original. Why is Darcy so opposed to Charles’ feelings for Elizabeth’s sister, Jane? What is Elizabeth and Charlotte’s true relationship? Darcy and Charles share more than just a friendship, they also share a bed. Darcy is desperately trying to justify his feelings for Elizabeth by saving his friend from the same likely fate. Gentle reader, open the pages if you dare, because Ann Herendeen leaves the bedroom doors wide open and you may see sights you never dreamed of.

I have been reading many books on the theme of Jane Austin. Whether it be of the author herself and her own secret love-life or retellings of her beloved stories, these stories seem to abound of late. When I picked up this book, I thought I was going to read this famous story again, but told from another point of view. Little did I know that I was going to be taken on an erotic romp. I believe Ms. Austen would blush to her toes if she got this in her hands. At first, I found it a bit disturbing to be peeking behind the bedroom doors of these famous characters. I enjoy a good erotic story as much as the next reader, but Jane Austin? Well, it didn’t take long for me to be completely immersed into this story. Ms. Herendeen may seem audacious but she tells the story beautifully and as soon as I can, I do want to read this again. I am sure, although in the times this story is set sodomites were subject to imprisonment and even hanging, that behind those doors many indulged in their fantasies. Ms. Heredeen has written a compelling, sexual and realistic story that I enjoyed and I believe others will too.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: