Friday, July 23, 2010

PRETTY IN PLAID by Jen Lancaster

Publisher: NAL
Date published: May 2010
ISBN: 978-0451228536
Woman’s Fiction
Trade Paperback
Reviewed by Angie
Review copy provided by publisher


PRETTY IN PLAID is a classic look at one woman’s journey through life. It begins with letters written as she grows up, and feels as though you are taking brief looks into journal entries written. This book is a memoir subtitled “A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart Ass Phase” and that sums up the entire novel much better than I can!

Jen Lancaster is the master of memoirs. Her author’s note says that some characters were combined and others have been protected with name changes. For me, to have found myself in this book would have been priceless! Ms. Lancaster has left me wanting to have been her best friend – in third grade or today. She is the epitome of what every girl, teen and woman wants to be.

As Jen goes from brownie to adulthood, she tells tales about her life. She left me laughing out loud, screaming at her and wishing my childhood had been half as fun! Favorite tales in this story were when her Dad puts his foot down and chooses a vacation destination only to be convinced by her mom to change destinations – half way there. Jen being upset about missing out on buying fudge is the epic tale! As a reader, I could go on forever why this book rocked, but it was just a fun read that left me remembering my own journey from little girl to wife.

Ms. Lancaster’s style of writing is so infused with humor that I am positive any book by her will be a good read. Not once during her story did I want to put the book down – this is definitely a vacation book, to be savored when work and reality can be pushed far from your mind.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: