Tuesday, August 10, 2010

BALANCING ACTS by Zoe Fishman

Publisher: Harper
Date published: March 2010
ISBN: 978-0061711800
Women’s lit
Paperback
Reviewed by Valerie
Obtained by publisher


This is the story of four friends who reunite at a college’s alumni night. Charlie is attending and is plugging her new yoga studio in Brooklyn. She has given up a high-paying job to open her own studio. There she meets up with Sabine a book editor who wants to write her own bestseller. Naomi is a single mom who hasn’t touched her camera in years. Bess had dreamed of being an investigative journalist but is stuck writing captions for a gossip magazine. Charlie persuades them to attend a beginner’s yoga class at her new studio. At Charlie’s six-week yoga class, these four women bond again. They become friends, jump hurdles and they learn that life can be full of new chances and they realize some grim realities.

This is Zoe Fishman’s debut novel. Now, even though I am not a big fan of women’s lit, this was a story that captured my attention. Each chapter is headed with the name of the women whose story is being told and though this may sound confusing, Ms. Fishman cleverly weaves it all together so that the reader can follow. Now, I know nothing about yoga and have never done it in my life, but after reading this story, I think I’d like to have a go. Anyways, back to the story. I really enjoyed following each woman’s journey during the six-week yoga class. I liked all the women, although Bess seemed a bit underhanded at times. I also liked the dialogue and I liked the ending. Although not all the women get that special ending, the ending is just right for after a six-week period. This is a perfect beach read and Zoe Fishman is an author to watch for.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: