Sunday, September 5, 2010

Talking with author Heather Kuehl

CONTEST: Comment to be entered to win a PDF copy of Fade To Black, First book in the Sarah Vargas Series.

Why Charleston?

When writing, I find that the setting becomes a character in itself. Landmarks, street names, even buildings make up a city, and when you include those in your writing it makes readers identify even more with your characters. Especially if your reader is from that area or has visited.

My books, especially my Sarah Vargas Series, is set in Charleston, South Carolina and the surrounding area. Having lived in the area since I was three, I find an almost childish delight when adding landmarks to my stories. I can close my eyes and picture exactly what Sarah would see when walking down Market Street. I can use buildings I’ve always admired, such as the Blood Moon Corporation’s Haven on East Battery Street.

What if I don’t remember what something looked like?

No problem, I just jump in the car and drive the thirty minutes into Charleston with camera in hand.

I’ve dabbled with other locations, like Boston, Massachusetts for example, but haven’t found a place that grabbed my imagination like Charleston has. Sure, some places have more history. But Charleston seems to transcend time itself.

I’ve considered moving, but I worry that I’d loose my inspiration if I did. I developed a world within Charleston, one that draws me in with every word.

Discover Charleston as I see it in the Sarah Vargas Series. Books one and two in this series, Fade to Black and Malevolent Dead, are available now from Eternal Press. Book three, Blood Moon, is due out in March 2011.

Fade to Black blurb:
Werewolf bounty hunter Sarah Vargas has only one goal in life; to kill the Were that attacked and changed her. However a slew of werecreature murders send Sarah and her partner, Jared Fontaine, on the mission of their lives, ending with a discovery about Jared’s past that might destroy them both.

Malevolent Dead blurb:
Werewolf Sarah Vargas thought all she had to worry about was the Blood Moon Corporation's retaliation. She never dreamed that another vampire would arrive, disputing Damian's claim over the throne to Charleston, SC. To make matters worse, he is no ordinary vamp; he's a vampire necromancer. He's exceptionally hard to kill, and Sarah will have to do what ever she can to keep those that she loves safe... Even if it means doing the unthinkable.

Blood Moon blurb:
After she broke her contract with the Blood Moon Corporation, Sarah Vargas knew that it was only a matter of time before they came for her. What she didn't know is what lengths they would go to to make sure that she had no where to run. Everyone Sarah has every relied on is in danger during a time when friends become enemies, and Sarah quickly realizes that the Blood Moon Corporation will never give up until she is dead. The Blood Moon Corporation is coming, and even Sarah doesn't think she can make it out alive.


Buy Links

Malevolent Dead: Book Two of the Sarah Vargas Series, Eternal Press
Fade to Black: Book One of the Sarah Vargas Series, Eternal Press
Promises to Keep, Eternal Press


Coming Soon

Blood Moon: Book Three of the Sarah Vargas Series, Eternal Press (3/7/2011)

Visit Heather Kuehl online at http://www.heatherkuehl.com/, http://www.heatherkuehl.blogspot.com/ or follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

Review:
Fade To Black

10 comments:

Linda Henderson said...

I enjoyed all the excerpts, they all sound like books I would really enjoy.

seriousreader at live dot com

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

I think it's wonderful to use real locations for the story. Readers feel the vibes of the city as well as reading a great story.

Good luck with your series. You have a winner of a character.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

thanks for the interesting post. Yet another new author for me and more books for my wishlist. After reading the excerpts and stuff I'm moving them up closer to the top of my list.

Valerie
in Germany

Heather said...

Good morning Linda and Lorrie! Thanks for stopping by.

@Lorrie - it was a little hard at first when it came down to writing about real places. Up until FADE I was writing high fantasy where everything down to the world my characters lived in I got to make up.

Cathy M said...

Hi Heather,

I love learning about new authors, and getting the backstory about a series that really interests me. I am a big urban fantasy/paranormal romance fan, and think I would really enjoy this series.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

LORETTA CANTON said...

Whenever I read a story set in my city I look for places and things that I can recognize. sounds like a good series.

loretta
lbcanton@verizon.net

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Heather,

Congratulations on the release of Malevolent Dead!

I feel exactly the way you do about settings. I almost never write a story set in some generic, unnamed city or town. And I usually use places that I know reasonably well as the background for my tales. In my books, the setting is almost another character!

I've never been to Charleston, though -- well, actually, we drove through a few years ago, but I've never spent any time there. Guess I need to read your books!

All the best,
Lisabet

booklover0226 said...

Hello!

This series sounds great; I look forward in reading it.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Heather said...

Congratulations to Cathy M. She won the pdf copy of FADE TO BLACK! I hope you enjoy my first release with Eternal Press, Cathy M.

Heather said...

Hello Valerie, Cathy, Loretta, Lisabet, and Tracey. Thank you for stopping by my guest blog post!

Having grown up in the Charleston area, I didn't think there was anything very interesting about the city. Add some paranormal creatures - some of them old enough to remember the cobblestone streets and the attack on Fort Sumter - and suddenly I love this city. It's funny how something like hot vampires can make history interesting. :o)