Wednesday, October 27, 2010

MAN OF THE WEST by Sadie Callahan

Sequel to Lone Star Woman
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Date published: April 2010
ISBN: 978-0-451-22959-5
Contemporary Romance
Mass Market Paperback
Reviewed by Dawn Dawn
Obtained by Publisher


Jolie Jenson is new to Willard Country and is determined to hide away from the world without letting her ex-husband find her. Sheriff Jake Strayhorn is drawn to the mysterious beauty and is determined to find out what she is hiding. But her past comes into town and before Jolie can believe in a happily ever after with Jake, she needs to confront her past to have a future.

MAN OF THE WEST was an interesting book to read. I haven’t read a nice contemporary romance in awhile and picked this one up. It had a few interesting characters that I enjoyed and a premise I could relate to. Alas, there were a few things I had trouble with. One was the romance part of the story. The main characters meet then wham! They are in love within minutes. To me that was a bit unbelievable. I prefer a build up to them finally admitting they fell for one another, to heighten the tension between characters and to take that journey with them. Second the dialogue just didn’t flow well at times. You never got that spark of connection between Jolie and Jake. It was hard to invest in them as it felt like they were being thrown together by the author willy nilly. The relationship Jolie was running from was mentioned countless times and after the tenth time, I was ready to scream “We got it already.” There was one aspect I loved over all in the story and that was the relationship between an older couple in their sixties and the author did a great job in showing their romance nicely. I just wished she continued on that with the main characters.

MAN OF THE WEST was an ok story that fell short of entertaining me completely. The writing needs to be cleaned up a bit and there were a few editing errors that I found that were missed as well. Overall, if you enjoy a story about two people instantly falling for one another, then this may be for you. I don’t think I will read this author again in the future.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement of this book.

No comments: